Canary Wharf to Teddington (via Richmond Park), new commuter

Koncordski
Koncordski Posts: 1,009
edited June 2011 in Commuting chat
Hello, first post but as with most i've been lurking for ages. Finally got fed up of south west trains and/or driving slower than I can cycle so started commuting a few days a week. I've been building up my fitness in richmond park for 6 months or so, pretty exciting to be doing it.

It's 18 miles each way and the route is pretty straightforward, using CS3 out of canary wharf then heading south over tower bridge. Is there anyone else on here that does a similar route from Canary Wharf to maybe Clapham/Putney/Twickenham?

Only done a couple of days and already seen too many near misses so I'm building up a healthy anticipation for Taxis changing lanes without indicating!

Bike is a 6 month old Trek 1.1 (2010) with brilliant conti ultraskin gator tyres but otherwise standard. Hope to see some regulars on the route, it always seems like more bikes than cars on the A3 south from Elephant & Castle. 8)

#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
#2 Boeris Italia race steel
#3 Scott CR1 SL
#4 Trek 1.1 commuter
#5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)

Comments

• keyser__soze
    keyser__soze Posts: 2,067
    Don't go over Tower Bridge, go via the Embankment, New Kings Road, Putney Bridge, Lower Richmond Road, Queens Lane, Upper Richmond Road, Priory Lane to the park. Quicker and easier route with fewer stops/junctions. Hundreds of forumites travel this way between the city/wharf and the park, myself included :)
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    What KS said.

Welcome!
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    cjcp wrote:
    What KS said.

Welcome!

You're a bad bad man :lol:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • snooks
    snooks Posts: 1,521
    cjcp wrote:
    What KS said.

Welcome!

What he said, easier and less stoppy starty
    FCN:5, 8 & 9
    If I'm not riding I'm shooting http://grahamsnook.com
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • Koncordski
    Thanks for the tip. Now you say it it seems obvious, so many lights and junctions on the clapham putney stretch. Will stick to the river now, how scary is parliament square? I guess compared to the elephant and castle deathtrap it's not so bad.

#3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    There are so many cyclists passing through Parliament square that you have very little to worry about!
  • keyser__soze
    keyser__soze Posts: 2,067
    Koncordski, when do you travel through? I'm sure you'd be able to find someone on here who wouldn't mind riding with you and showing you the route the first couple of times.
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"
  • Koncordski
    Mornings can be a bit variable! :wink: However evenings I leave the Wharf (harbour exchange square next to south quay DLR) at 5:40. If anyone is leaving a similar time then would be great to know them. Even if it's to say hi as they go flying past! :lol:

#3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter