High end alu or low end carbon?

Jim3746
Jim3746 Posts: 4
edited June 2011 in Road buying advice
There are a few good quality aluminium bikes out there which the manufacturers claim compare favourably with many more expensive carbon bikes. Some examples below. What do people think of these? Anyone own one themselves? Thanks for your views!

Cannondale CAAD10
http://www.cannondale.com/gbr/2011/bike ... aad-10-105

Canyon Ultimate AL
http://www.canyon.com/_uk/roadbikes/bike.html?b=2108

Specialized Allez Comp
http://www.specialized.com/gb/gb/bc/SBC ... cname=Road

Comments

• rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    id have the caad from that list
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    High end (i.e. lightweight) alu = easily trashed.
    More problems but still living....
  • chrishd883
    chrishd883 Posts: 159
    And carbon can't be trashed?

I have a CAAD8 and a Synapse
    Both good but the CAAD8 - 4 years older - is still my favourite!

So +1 for the CAAD10 from your list.
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Unbelievably light the CAAD10, well worth a look and test ride if you can
  • Jim3746
    Jim3746 Posts: 4
    thanks guys
  • Crankbrother
    Crankbrother Posts: 1,695
    amaferanga wrote:
    High end (i.e. lightweight) alu = easily trashed.

Not really true ... A friend of mine just sold his caad3 prototype ... 15 years after buying it ... and the bike has been over most of europes mountains and crashed a couple of times ... The only real mark on it is where he pushed the top tube in a fraction with his thumb ... So it was obviously thin alu but bloody strong ...

So basically ignore the above ... Good alu is always gonnabe better than cheap carbon ...
  • I recently had the same question, and I came to the conclusion that high end Alu was where I was going to place my money.

I ended up ordering the Canyon Ultimate AL, waiting for it to be built but it arrived last week and it look sweet. Cant wait to ride it!
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    after a recent debacle i will never be recommending low end carbon again.
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    You can never achieve the tube end detailing with ali, that you can with carbon. That is where the strength and stiffness of a bike comes from.

CAAD 10 is a superb ali bike, but that web site saying it is lighter and stiffer than competitors "Elite" carbon frames is bolleaux.

Que lots of posts about how good ali is, some about how steel is even better and bucket loads about how Formula 1, civil and military aviation and a whole host of other sports have been revolutionised by the lightness and stiffness of carbon fibre.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • Keith1983
    Keith1983 Posts: 575
    My opinion is that with high end alu, most of the money is going on design, components and quality. With low end carbon most of the money is going on the material and so the other bits suffer. Get a test ride booked on those you like and decide for yourself.
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Bar Shaker wrote:
    CAAD 10 is a superb ali bike, but that web site saying it is lighter and stiffer than competitors "Elite" carbon frames is bolleaux.

Can you link said website and post any facts that back this statement up :?:
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    ShutUpLegs wrote:
    Bar Shaker wrote:

Can you link said website and post any facts that back this statement up :?:
    yes the link is in the OP
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Love my Canyon Ultimate AL superb frameset.

I've owned a CAAD9 and the Canyon is better.

I bolted my R-Sys wheels to it and I can see why the Omega Pharma used the AL for the Classics. Just awesome lovely responsive ride and very forgiving.

I really want to upgrade the build of the AL to rival the Ultimate CF I have as I really think there aren't huge differences in quality.

I'm thinking of a Canyon Roadlite as a winter\training bike.
  • silverpigeon
    silverpigeon Posts: 327
    I prefer my aluminium Principia (high end) to my carbon Focus (low end).
    Basso Astra
    Principia Ellipse SX
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Kinesis Crosslight Pro Disc