downhill for learning in the north west?

spondonchris
spondonchris Posts: 74
edited June 2011 in Routes
Hi all, have just got back from Ae after getting a weekend passout from the missus! and had a go at the Downhill section, The Shredder, along with the other amazing stuff at Ae and absolutely loved the downhill run.
The question is, now back home in the North West of England, where can I go to learn a bit more downhill stuff?
any ideas?
thanks

Comments

• stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    There's some DH stuff at Lee Quarry, but it's probably more towards extreme XC rather than proper DH.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • thanks stumpyjohn. have ridden lee quary a few times and have enjoyed it, but agree it is more xc which is fine, but am hoping tofind something a bit more aggressive. going to gisburn saturday morning and i think there are some bits of downhill there and i believe there is a new bit of freeride since i last went, should be good.
    any other ideas appreciated :)
  • ratty2k
    ratty2k Posts: 3,872
    Dark Peak? Jacobs, The Beast, Suicide Brake... Then there's the White Peak and stuff like Cavedale...
    Or futher oop north and the Lakes, some great natural stuff in Grizedale, Walna scar, Borrowdale bash etc...
    My Pics !

Whadda ya mean I dont believe in god?
    I talk to him everyday....
  • chedabob
    chedabob Posts: 1,133
    Healey Nab has a "black" downhill run and a red run.
  • stumpyjon
    edited June 2011
    Forgot the DH stuff at Gisburn :oops: The Freeride section isn't finished yet.

• yeah, we found out the freeride section wasn't finished. looks good so far, although as a minor point it wouuld be good to have the drops with a straight run in to get some speed up. had a go at the downhill run between the treestumps and that was good fun. looks like there is some other stuff in the woods as could see a few chutes coming down out of the trees.
    the gully was great fun as well.
    will go back and have a good session sometime on the downhill bit.
    thanks for suggestions so far and well done to whoever is building the stuff at gisburn
  • stumpyjon
    The freeride bit is being done by Tim at the Dog & Partridge, Ed Oxley in conjunction with Hope. The XC extensions are being done with another volunteer group working with the FC. Been up there today and got another 50m of trail in, got a bit wet though.

There are plans to put a run in for the drop offs to make them useable for training sessions.

More info on www.pmba.org.uk

• bellys
    bellys Posts: 456
    google FARMER JOHNS marple iv never riden it but my mates think it good fun
    http://www.vimeo.com/10191634
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NUcpq3_lz8
  • enjoyed the new bits at Gisburn, shame there was a 24 our race on that MOST people said thanks when we pulled over to let them past as they were racing - as to the other ignorant ******. Will google farmer johns and see if it is ok for learners !!