SRAM Shifters...

2»

Comments

• Meatfox
    Meatfox Posts: 155
    edited June 2011
    Must be a set up thing, i dont have banana hands, ham fists or salad fingers! haha

If i decided to change can i run a xt rear mech and a sram front (with relevant shifters)?
    I understand they run different rations but does this effect mixing and matching?
  • mac_man
    mac_man Posts: 918
    Meatfox wrote:
    Must be a set up thing, i dont have banana hands, ham fists or salad fingers! haha

If i decided to change can i run a xt rear mech and a sram front (with relevant shifters)?
    I understand they run different rations but does this effect mixing and matching?

Shifters and rear mech need to match. Front mech can be any. Ditto cassette (as long as its appropriate to the number of gears on the shifters)
    Cool, retro and sometimes downright rude MTB and cycling themed T shirts. Just MTFU.

By day: http://www.mtfu.co.uk
  • heez29
    heez29 Posts: 612
    nwmlarge wrote:
    i had this issue and now i run mine inboard of the brakes as per this photo.

225713_10150572011690541_812145540_18490836_6641305_n.jpg

ps. those big superstar grips are awesome to use, i was put off by the large width of them but it makes so much more sense on the trail

Im opposite on both of my bikes. One being x9/elixir and x7/oro k18s.

Never had a problem and I run a small/medium glove.
  • Meatfox
    mac man wrote:
    Meatfox wrote:

Shifters and rear mech need to match. Front mech can be any. Ditto cassette (as long as its appropriate to the number of gears on the shifters)

Ok, noted. Although it's more likely i'd change the front mech and it's shifter because shifting accidently into the granny ring is bloody unbearable. Good thing too being the chearper of the two.
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    SRAM Attack are 2:1 (shimano compatible) its a shame SRAM don't make higher end shifters in 2:1.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    He wants to move away from SRAM!
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Some people swear by Campagnola.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • NatoED
    NatoED Posts: 480
    micro shift are not bad either . I've used some sunrace shifters and they were clunky but nice feeling ( and made of metal)
  • sheepsteeth
    sheepsteeth Posts: 17,418
    cooldad wrote:

ive heard those ones cause as may accidents as they help prevent.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    cooldad wrote:

ive heard those ones cause as may accidents as they help prevent.

Which will be a problem when the H&S bods make it law.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Meatfox
    Well bike is ready. picking up at the weekend. will let you know how i get on with the shifter nonsense.

chees for your thoughts
  • Meatfox
    Picked the trek up on saturday. took it home. tweeked it. then beasted it on sunday.

No problem with the shifters at all - other than just getting used to them, being used to shimano.

ive set the brakes about and inch in from the grips, and the shifters about another inch in from the brakes.

so far so good

cheers for your comments
  • Fudgie
    Fudgie Posts: 68
    I used to have a Kona with older XT trigger action shifters. My Whyte has X9 shifters and I found the thumb push a bit clumsy until I sort of got used to it. I chose the Canyon for it's XT transmission to get away from the thumb push. But now I find I've got so used to the SRAM way that I use the thumb push action on both :?

My conclusion? The bikes are fine. It's the rider who's screwed up :(
    Canyon Nerve XC 8.0 2011
  • Meatfox
    Fudgie wrote:
    I used to have a Kona with older XT trigger action shifters. My Whyte has X9 shifters and I found the thumb push a bit clumsy until I sort of got used to it. I chose the Canyon for it's XT transmission to get away from the thumb push. But now I find I've got so used to the SRAM way that I use the thumb push action on both :?

My conclusion? The bikes are fine. It's the rider who's screwed up :(

I think the shimano finger-thumb shifting better. feels more natural and definitely cool how you can use the thumb for both.
    but the sram is grand and clearly works, and yes will take a bit of getting used to.

how does the canyon ride? exceptional value for money!
  • CharlieH
    CharlieH Posts: 410
    Well after years of shimano shifters, both current bikes have SRAM shifters and avid brakes and I love them. I have my shifters next to the grips and the brakes inboard of the shifters. I have no problems shifting at anytime and my brake levers are perfect for one finger braking. FWIW I'm 5'8" but I do have small hands :)
  • captainfly
    captainfly Posts: 1,001
    I've always run SRAM shifters and never had a problem with catching them, it has to be said I do love the matchmaker combined X7. it is just so natural. But I ran a J3 with an older X7 shifter and thats fine, I think sometime it is the bake lever angle that is the issue for some.
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

Why are MTB economics; spend twice as much as you intended, but only half as much as you wish you could afford? :roll: