How do you keep going?

Bradders87
Bradders87 Posts: 93
edited June 2011 in The bottom bracket
Half way up a hill, as your legs are filling with lactic acid and all your brain is telling you to do is to slow down and give yourself a break, what do you call on to keep those legs turning?
Personally I've had some very funny looks from pedestrians given what comes out of my mouth :lol:

Comments

• I believe they proved scientifically swearing does help with physical effort if you are flagging.

Myself, I flick to Globus - Preliator on my MP3 player and just go all Floyd Landis "on that certain stage" and mash my way up the hill. ;)
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    You figuratively need to sit in that horrible little corner of your brain and lash out at the part of the brain that questions why you're doing it.

But yes, I regularly tell myself to f*ck off, and other general abuse that would land me with a police fine or court appearance.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I just tell myself "don't give up", over and over, like a chant. When that stops working I use apsychological trigger that kicks me up a gear and keep going.

Also I seem to get songs in a loop when riding hard, last club run it was Deeply Dippy by Right said Fred. Bad, bad, bad. :oops:
  • nevman
    nevman Posts: 1,611
    I tend to think of those who cannot do what we do,for various reasons-it helps to believe we are fortunate to have our health.As the lady rider next to me on Blwch last weekend said `F***k me this is hard` and we both laughed at the silliness of it.Grin and bear it.
    Whats the solution? Just pedal faster you baby.

Summer B,man Team Carbon LE#222
    Winter Alan Top Cross
    All rounder Spec. Allez.
  • I find a liberal dosing of this does the trick

aa112-htfu.jpg
  • ste_
    ste_ Posts: 124
    I sometimes get "Belly, Belly, Belly" in a loop in my head. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yN_R0J8kU5I
  • Martincan
    Martincan Posts: 188
    I don't listen to music on rides, but Clubbed to Death by Rob Dougan is quite a good motivational track, and you can pretend you are Neo. 8)
    Pain is weakness leaving the body.....I have a lot of weakness!

My Blog: http://ipluswheels.wordpress.com/
  • APIII
    APIII Posts: 2,010
    Ride with people you don't like, so your pride forces you to keep up :wink:
  • micken
    micken Posts: 275
    APIII wrote:
    Ride with people you don't like, so your pride forces you to keep in front of them :wink:

^ Fixed that for you. :wink:
  • micken wrote:
    APIII wrote:
    Ride with people you don't like, so when you finally snap you can beat the living shit out of them with a full shot of adrenaline running through your system [/b] :wink:

^ Fixed that for you. :wink:

^^ Fixt it properly this time. :lol:
  • Zilla80
    Zilla80 Posts: 8
    I was once harrassed by some chavs on scooters before a long half mile climb. Whilst climbing i was day dreaming about dragging one of his vehicle and smashing the almighty out of him. By the time these dark thoughts had cleared i realised i had done the climb in a record time.

Imagining scrapping with someone i hate intensly is now my preferred climbing technique. Its not possibly as nice as self motivational talking to but by god it gets results.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,182
    I just listen to my brain, slow down and stop - it knows better than me :wink:
  • Tonymufc
    Tonymufc Posts: 1,016
    Have to agree with Mr Chasey on this one. If you can deal with the pain longer than the others that you're riding with then you'll be the one pushing on to the top whilst they'll probably be pulling up at the side of the road for a breather. I keep telling myself that the pain won't last forever and just dig in as much as I can. Trying to beat your mates up a climb is a great motivator though.
  • DIESELDOG
    DIESELDOG Posts: 2,087
    Damn, wrong thread, yet again...

But, in for a penny in for a pound. Think of taxes and the national debt. Couple that with folding bikes and Rapha clothing you're about there.

Huh? Still on wrong thread? Oh well, never mind....

Love n hugs

DD
    Eagles may soar but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

www.onemanandhisbike.co.uk
  • jim453
    jim453 Posts: 1,360
    Just when we were lacking a bit of terribly predictable sixth form innuendo.

Well done Miss Dog, we can always rely on you.
  • DIESELDOG
    DIESELDOG Posts: 2,087
    jim453 wrote:
    Just when we were lacking a bit of terribly predictable sixth form innuendo.

Well done Miss Dog, we can always rely on you.

Hello Jim, it's life ***., life ***, life.... You know the song.

And please, it's Ms to you. Familiarity breeds contempt.

Love n hugs

DD
    Eagles may soar but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

www.onemanandhisbike.co.uk
  • stimpy_76
    stimpy_76 Posts: 43
    Have a big ol' slice of MTFU :lol:

Keeps me going anyway!

That and the truly foul language :P
    Commuter MTB FCN 12
    XC MTB FCN 9
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    edited June 2011
    Mentally develop a fierce argument with anyone; the bloke in the car 4 miles ago who only gave you 12 feet as he passed, the youth in Evans with the world's most ridiculous haircut claiming something that you know to be absolutely and unutterably false, anything. Like Zilla says, by the time you've won the argument you're at the top of the hill. Was going to say you're over the hill, but that's not a phrase to use in polite company.
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    When you reach that absolute point where your legs/ lungs cannot take it anymore
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    I tend to drop back to the little ring
  • Cakegirl
    Cakegirl Posts: 66
    Think "what would Jens do"

Or sums - good for the turbo, if I've done 28 mins out of 40 work that out as a percentage. Being short of oxygen to the brain, by the time I've done the sum I'm at 31 minutes.
    If everything's under control, you're obviously not going fast enough.
  • coombsfh
    coombsfh Posts: 186
    I haven't had the chance to go hill killing yet but come the end of June, I will be back it Wiltshire and living at the bottom of the aptly named "Labour-In-Vain" hill. Once I have done it I will tell you what encouraged me up it...

Whenever weight training gets hard I think about whether I have lifted the weight before, what it is in terms of % or number of times body weight. Also think that it is just metal and it just needs moving. I also have heavy music on and when things get really tough (the last, starry eyed set of deadlifts etc) I swear like a trooper and usually make a hissing noise too!

Fred
  • supertwisted
    supertwisted Posts: 565
    "Shut up legs!"
    Less internal organs, same supertwisted great taste.
  • UncleFred
    UncleFred Posts: 227
    My Ex - Boss, who made David Brent look like a skilled manager, once said to me "Winners Never Quit, Quitters never win" I always visualise him saying this as I imagine giving the smug, macro managing twat a good kicking.....

The longer the hill, the longer the violence goes on. Seems to work.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 22,090
    UncleFred wrote:
    My Ex - Boss, who made David Brent look like a skilled manager, once said to me "Winners Never Quit, Quitters never win" I always visualise him saying this as I imagine giving the smug, macro managing fool a good kicking.....

The longer the hill, the longer the violence goes on. Seems to work.

I like this one!
  • mingmong
    mingmong Posts: 542
    Milkyway song?
  • Stick8267
    Stick8267 Posts: 154
    I count pedal strokes........got me up the Alps recently.

There are 735 strokes to the kilometre in my bottom gear!