Cardboard helmets

unscarred
unscarred Posts: 208
edited June 2011 in Commuting chat
I don't think this has been posted yet (correct me if I'm wrong - yes I searched first):

Kranium: A cardboard helmet that’s safer than plastic

Now given the safety tests conducted on it, assuming the results are accurate, would you trust this as your commuting brain bucket? I certainly don't think I'd trust it for "up to five impacts".

I have to admit, I quite like the design, and it would be laughably easy to customise, e.g. changing colour scheme, adding extra ventilation
FCN 6 in the week on the shiny new single speed.

FCN 3 at the weekend - struggling to do it justice!

Comments

• HamishD
    HamishD Posts: 538
    Let the trolling commence . . .
  • Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    Kind of makes sense. I wouldn't want it to rain though...
    FCN 2 to 8
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Neat . I want one of those to leave in the cupboard. :)

Seriously, that's interesting. Note the custom fit, personalised design etc which suggests top dollar to buy one though. When they're a sensible price, give me a shout.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    waterproofing was my first thought, but if you read to teh bottom they have got it covered.

If you try to crush a decent carboard box "the wrong way" they are as strong as anything. It could probably do with some foam padding or something inside for comfort, but yes I'd use one.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Trolling? I rather like this - especially the vending machine concept. Open a flap, stick in your bonce for a scan and a nice new helmet drops out the bottom.

But......consider the potential for sticking other things in for scanning! Forgot your cricket box Sir? No problem, just stick it in the slot here.......
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Interesting......
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • t4tomo wrote:
    waterproofing was my first thought, but if you read to teh bottom they have got it covered.

Boom boom :lol:
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    t4tomo wrote:

Only probably as well as the other manufacturers who build items for the average cyclist i.e. last about a month.

Give it a full year of use; rain, snow, sun, sweat and I bet it won't last; maybe they'll let me test one on the 200km I've planned this weekend
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    gbsahne wrote:
    t4tomo wrote:

Only probably as well as the other manufacturers who build items for the average cyclist i.e. last about a month.

Give it a full year of use; rain, snow, sun, sweat and I bet it won't last; maybe they'll let me test one on the 200km I've planned this weekend

Assuming you only need your head scanned once, cardboard is both cheap and recyclable. so just order another.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • Ginjafro
    Ginjafro Posts: 572
    In principle its probably worth developing into something aesthetic, useful and practical. Even though it has a waterproof coating I'm sure a better looking "plastic" coating, indistinguishable from current helmets, will resolve a few issues. Yeah, if further testing can prove such a design is really more impact resistant I would consider having one.
    Giant XTC Pro-Carbon
    Cove Hustler
    Planet X Pro-Carbon
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Lets face it current stanard helmets are pretty poor - that hard polystyrene is uncomfortable and prone to cracking on impact.

I have a Bern "hard hat" for winter (not enough ventiliation for summer) and teh softer foam stuff they line that with is far better and can withstand multiple knocks. It's not ISO tested yet though so no idea whether their claim that it offers at least as good if not better protection is true or not. It also double up as a ski helmet though.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • bearfraser
    bearfraser Posts: 435
    wonder how UV stable the shell is ? and can you modify it with airholes for ventilation?
  • Interesting numbers, considering a quick google suggests 95g is behind the average concussion.
  • hfidgen
    hfidgen Posts: 340
    *looks in vain for the ban button*

The cardboard helmet reminds me of this:
    http://www.hovding.com/en/index

Basically an "air bag" helmet which should be out and about in the UK sometime by early next year.
    FCN 4 - BMC CX02