Iron Mountain 9th July + Tour Of Black Mountains 10th July

pantsani
pantsani Posts: 114
Abergavenny Festival of Cycling on 9th/10th July is the starting point for hosting 2 cracking sportives,

Done both on different years, one on Saturday is the Iron Mountain Sportif which is a lovely route and hopefully they are keeping the bunch mass start as that was always good.

Then on Sunday the Tour of The Black Mountains, also starting from the park in the town centre this year I think , is a great route with the longest being a bit of an epic.

All being well I'll be doing both long routes on Sat and Sun as prep for RAID Alpine a couple of weeks later.

Should be good, anyone here up for either or both ?

Comments

• craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    Having bunked out of this years Magnificat (I'm injured! It's raining! etc) I could do with a replacement challenge.

I suppose I should check the internets out to see the cost and suitablility of each ride.

Obviously I'll need to man up if it starts drizzling.
  • jackfeeder
    jackfeeder Posts: 269
    The TOBM is a cracker - did it last year - really hard but very scenic for the most part. Wish I could do both on that weekend, that would be a really tough test.
    All my life I've wanted to be someone; I guess I should have been more specific.
  • benno68
    benno68 Posts: 1,689
    I was looking at their website yesterday, I could only do the Sunday. The 120 miler looks like a tough one, I'll see if I can talk my mate into coming along.

Is the route foolproof/well signed, if I do it on my own I don't fancy finding myself lost in the back of beyond :lol:

Pinarello Dogma 2 (ex Team SKY) 2012
    Cube Agree GTC Ultegra 2012
    Giant Defy 105 2009
  • dru
    dru Posts: 1,341
    Sorry Benno - the Sunday ride is Cancelled

I looked at these events this morning and on the organisers website the Devil Ride on Sunday has been cancelled - it cites reasons of 'clashing' with the Saturday event :roll: :lol:
  • benno68
    Dru wrote:
    Sorry Benno - the Sunday ride is Cancelled

I looked at these events this morning and on the organisers website the Devil Ride on Sunday has been cancelled - it cites reasons of 'clashing' with the Saturday event :roll: :lol:

That's made my mind up then, in work on Saturday - booo!!!

Giant Defy 105 2009
  • stevenw
    stevenw Posts: 44
    The Sunday ride isn't cancelled. The Devil Ride is a different event that was due to start in Brecon. The Tour of the Black Mountains starts in Abergavenny.
  • benno68
    stevenw wrote:
    The Sunday ride isn't cancelled. The Devil Ride is a different event that was due to start in Brecon. The Tour of the Black Mountains starts in Abergavenny.

Thanks for that stevenw - I'll think about giving it a go.

I'm still wondering if it's well marshalled/signposted etc. Anyone done this before and can advise?

Giant Defy 105 2009
  • TheBullet
    TheBullet Posts: 58
    Did the TOTBM 120 mile route last year and it was awesome. Great route and well organised. Everything you'd expect from a Pendragon event. My only criticism is there were only 2 feed stops - 1 at 40miles and the 2nd at 80miles - which for a 120mile ride didn't seem enough.

I can't do it this year but good luck to everyone that does.

(My avatar picture is from one of the climbs from the ride last year)
    Winners never quit and quitters never win!!
  • derek48
    derek48 Posts: 67
    I've done the TOBM twice before, and I'm doing it again this year as it's one of my favourite events. Great route, but very hard, and the usual excellent Pendragon organisation and feed stops.
  • pantsani
    The TOBM is a cracker , Llangynidr mountain at 100 miles is where it gets interesting, then the lumpy back road route from Crickhowell back to Abergavenny has to be one of the hardest finishes I've experienced on a sportive. Should be good. :-)

The Saturday route on the Iron Mountain Sportif is v nice too though, first half stretches back into the wye valley past tintern and then climbs back out towards Monmouth, then back past Abergavenny and out up the tumble into less lumpy but a couple of big climbs in the Brecon Beacons , thought it was a brilliant route. Should also be good. :-)
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    Lumping these two together with the festival is a good move and a hell of a challenge for two back to back rides, with stunning scenary.
    If they get this right it could take over the dragon as the premier welsh even :D
  • dru
    dru Posts: 1,341
    stevenw wrote:

ah :oops:

I apologise for putting 2 and 2 together..... and getting 5 :oops:
  • pantsani
    Lumping these two together with the festival is a good move and a hell of a challenge for two back to back rides, with stunning scenary.
    If they get this right it could take over the dragon as the premier welsh even :D

The scenery on both routes is equal to any sportive I've done in the UK. Think the format could develop into a cracking weekend and annual fixture, leaving from Bailey Park when the Cycling Festival stuff is on gives the event a nice touch too.

I'm staying nearby so I might even make it into Abergavenny to see the town centre cycling crits on Friday evening.
  • clanton
    clanton Posts: 1,289
    I'm in for the TOTBM only. Anyone got a profile of this?
  • pantsani
    Both profiles on the website . . .

TOBM Here

http://www.abergavennyfestivalofcycling ... spx?id=140
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    hmmmm should be interesting :?
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • pantsani
    Got an email the other day Iron Mountain Sportif organisers say today is last day to enter online, online entries are open until end of Sunday.

So entering both today as I'm sure you can enter on the day but can't bothered with the faff.

Bring it on. ( I think ) ;-)
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    Anyone know for sure if you can enter the TOBM on the day, doesn't seem to say on the web-site? Forgot it was coming around so quick and enjoyed it a couple of years ago.
  • 3Pears
    3Pears Posts: 174
    nferrar, I entered the TOBM just yesterday :P Although unless sold out I'm sure Nick Bourne allows entry on day 8)
  • pantsani
    Think you can still enter TOBM ? Not sure , think it was just closing date for Iron Mtn Sportif yesterday although I think both will accommodate entries on teh day, best to check with organisers though.
  • nferrar
    So I just entered the 63mile option of the TotBM but looking at the route map it seems identical to the 101 mile option, assuming it's just a mistake does anyone know which one is displayed correctly (I can't be arsed with measuring it :p )
  • nferrar
    Nm, just found the non-interactive map showing the correct routes (it's the 101 miler that's displayed correctly on the interactive map)
  • itboffin
    @ 13,000ft of ascent for the 120 miler that's got to be the equiv of a European Alps sportive surely? I've done the dragon ride a couple of time which from memory wasn't steep really just long, has anyone done both and care to share comparisons ?

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/532585

route-histogram-532585.jpg
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    itboffin wrote:
    @ 13,000ft of ascent for the 120 miler that's got to be the equiv of a European Alps sportive surely? I've done the dragon ride a couple of time which from memory wasn't steep really just long, has anyone done both and care to share comparisons ?

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/532585

route-histogram-532585.jpg

It's location Abergavenny is surrounded by hills most knocking on the door for 2000 foot, and gets bigger the further into the Breacon Beacons you go.

where as the dragon starts in Porthcawl on the coast.
  • pantsani
    One down, one to go

Thought the Iron Mountain was an absolute belter today, can't understand why more people don't do this one :-) Brilliant route , great crowd with a few decent groups forming, superb signage, nice start/finish in the cycling festival , really well organised today.
  • nferrar
    Did the 63 mile TotBM today, really enjoyed it. Minimal fuss at the start and a great course with some tough climbs. Road was crappy for the first 10 miles (resurfaced but lots of loose chippings and fairly hard going) and just finished as the heavens opened but other than that no complaints at all (I think I only saw one gel wrapper in the road the whole route to, much better than the litter louts on the Dragon ride :p )
  • pantsani
    Finished 120 miler on ToBM , all very good have to say, great route brilliantly organised and nice crowd again. Much prefer the finish going down the Tumble too, as the previous finish on the back roads from Crickhowell I did in 2009 was a bit of a joyless pain fest for the sake of it.

Really enjoyed doing both long routes, free time allowing will do it again next year. :-)
  • itboffin
    Great event but HARD very HARD, my knees are throbbing
  • vs
    vs Posts: 468
    A tough but enjoyable day. All but 121 miles. 11,300 feet of climbing. Some great roads and great climbs.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/98365498
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    Ooff I punctured in the first five miles (badly adjusted brake block rips hole in tyre :shock: ) so I had to run the sixty miler on a soft rear tyre with a bit of inner tube poking through. Then my LH crank fell off :shock: Note to self - use threadlock.

So having been at the back of the field I spent the next four hours working my way though the pack which is great for the ego. The final ascent (is that what everyone is calling The Tumble?) was a grind in full sunshine & I wonder if I'm a bit heat stroked today?

Met lots of nice folk throughout the ride and I do like Abergavenny. Feeling quite zonked today (bravo to you long route types). By tomorrow I'll be wanting to sign up for next years event (s).

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/98124812