Do Windows 7 Smartphones support tethering?

kelsen
kelsen Posts: 2,003
edited June 2011 in Commuting chat
Anyone? Thanks.

Comments

• mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • kelsen
    Thanks Mudcow007. Not without a bit of faffing around it seems.
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    kelsen....

tethering is something that is generally controlled by your carrier (vodaphone etc) and the device manufacturer.

The network stack in the Win7 Phone OS does support it......however, I do not believe that there is an enabled, pre-included software hook to use it. This is most likely to help get the phone out there to carriers, who traditionally do not like tethering, as they want to charge it as a premium service.

It has been done both by wifi and by USB, but as you say.....faff-fest.

To be fair...even on the iPhone and Android phones....which do support tethering (now at least on the iPhone), the carrier controls how this is used....I know for instance that with iPhone on vodaphone, tethering is turned on....however, it uses a different access point to the carrier, so is not free (i.e. does not just come out of the included data allowance...)

There is a win7Phone app called conectify which apparently does the tethering for you...but I honestly don't know if its any good or not....traditionally, these software apps which put a layer on top of the network stack have been poor, so i wouldn't hold my breath....
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Incidentally, how many of you have Windows 7 phones? I don't think I know anyone who has one. And I know a *lot* of geeks. Most people have android handsets.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Windoze is bad enough but on a phone? :shock:

no thanks
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • As others have said tethering isn't supported. I'm pretty sure I read on wpcentral.com recently that its not supported due to the carriers not allowing it, but MS is trying to allow it.

In regards to windows on a phone - wp7 is completly different from the pc software and I can't wait to change to wp7 from iOS. If you are looking for a fresh approach to phone software I would recommend wp7 and it is only going to get better with the mango update in the autum.
  • jamesco
    jamesco Posts: 687
    itboffin wrote:

no thanks
    Windoze? Christ, Bill Gates must have to go cry in his great big pile of money everytime he hears something that hurtful and original...

Anyway, more on topic, WP7 is very nice from my experience of it and it's what I would choose if buying a phone today (and there's some cracking deals on WP7 phones at the moment).
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    My HTC does it by turning itself in to a wireless router. Very smart.

Maybe there's an windows app does the same thing.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • itboffin
    jamesco wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

no thanks
    Windoze? Christ, Bill Gates must have to go cry in his great big pile of money everytime he hears something that hurtful and original...

Shut it 230 post by bow down before my MASSHOOF ego and awesome post count for i am NEVER WRONG :roll:

almost, except when I am but will not admit
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin
    Sketchley wrote:

I doubt it, I wonder if they're finally gotten around to combining a Ctl+Alt+DEL button oh wait that's the green call button isnt it ....
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    edited June 2011
    notsoblue wrote:
    Incidentally, how many of you have Windows 7 phones? I don't think I know anyone who has one. And I know a *lot* of geeks. Most people have android handsets.

got a few pre-release dev ones kicking about the office......looks and feels kinda like we (as in...we in the office) all wanted android to......

edit...take it everyone got as far as network stack in my previous post? :wink:

there is an app....as said...cant vouch for its quality.....
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Sketchley wrote:

I've got a HTC, so this discussion might be relevant to me. Could you kindly translate? :)
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    cjcp wrote:
    Sketchley wrote:

I've got a HTC, so this discussion might be relevant to me. Could you kindly translate? :)

If you are on HTM Android 2.2 or higher (e.g. a desire like mine)

Goto to "settings" > "wireless and networking", >"portable wifi hotspot" this will help you configure the phone as a wireless router just follow instructions. Make sure you select a new password / keyphrase for wireless.

With this turned on, you can then on your laptop use the wireless to connect to your phone by select the HTC wireless network and putting in the PWD you set in the setup screens.

Laptop connected to internet via phone with no cable. If your on t-mobile business like me you have 3GB per month to play with too.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • itboffin
    cjcp wrote:
    Sketchley wrote:

Listen old man shouldn't you be napping or something? don't you have a race tomorrow and Sunday?

BTW the weather is pants down here ATM, on off hot / cold - wet / dry doesnt bode well for the magnificat. :cry:
  • jamesco
    jamesco Posts: 687
    itboffin wrote:
    Sketchley wrote:

I doubt it, I wonder if they're finally gotten around to combining a Ctl+Alt+DEL button oh wait that's the green call button isnt it ....
    Hehe, next year will be the year of Linux on the desktop, and always will be ;)
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Sketchley wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    Sketchley wrote:

If you are on HTM Android 2.2 or higher (e.g. a desire like mine)

Goto to "settings" > "wireless and networking", >"portable wifi hotspot" this will help you configure the phone as a wireless router just follow instructions. Make sure you select a new password / keyphrase for wireless.

With this turned on, you can then on your laptop use the wireless to connect to your phone by select the HTC wireless network and putting in the PWD you set in the setup screens.

Laptop connected to internet via phone with no cable. If your on t-mobile business like me you have 3GB per month to play with too.

I see. Ta very much. :)

Yep, mine's a Desire, and I'm on T-Mobile, too.

@ITB - I may bail on Sunday if the weather's pants...
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    notsoblue wrote:
    Incidentally, how many of you have Windows 7 phones?

I do. I have an HTC HD7.

As a phone, I like it, mostly. I don't like the camera button on my particular phone, as it's hard to press when holding the phone in one hand - my iPhone's software shutter release is much easier.

Two things particularly annoy me about my Windows Phone 7.

First, there is no socket support in the SDK. That in turn means no IRC or SSH apps, for example. I believe socket support is coming with Mango, so those apps should appear eventually.

Second, Windows Phone is a poor relation when it comes to the hot, cool apps. Developers tend to target iPhone first (e.g. Instagram), then Android. Then they'll probably get out a BlackBerry version. If you're lucky, there might be a Windows Phone version, but in my experience they are more often than not completely absent. Look at a site like GetGlue, for example -- http://getglue.com/apps -- apps are available for iPhone, iPad, Android and BB. But nothing native for the WP7 (you can use a mobile Web site).

RunKeeper was available on iPhone and Android for ages, but only just became available for WP7. So some support is beginning to emerge, and maybe it will take off more so in the future. As things stand at the moment, I'm ditching my Windows Phone 7 and going back to iPhone, or maybe trying Android, when my contract's up.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • kelsen
    cee wrote:
    edit...take it everyone got as far as network stack in my previous post? :wink

Yeah, I wanted to say, but was too embarassed :lol: