Campag levers

jackmcd
jackmcd Posts: 185
edited June 2011 in Road buying advice
Bought a Bianchi three months ago with veloce groupset

When I tried it, I liked the levers - but not being used to road bikes thought they would just take a little getting used to. Now three months on I am starting to accept they may be too large for my hands... If I tilt the bars a little more, reaching them when in lower position is easier - but I lose the comfort sitting upright hands on hoods.

My question - ruling out a thumb extension - would these ergo levers improve the situation?

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/campagnolo/veloce-ergopower-shifters-ec025995?query=campagnolo

Comments

• PeterBL
    PeterBL Posts: 209
    Aren't they what you have already?
  • jackmcd
    They look different - and I'm wondering if that is just because they are a different material (mines are plastic) or whether there is a difference between veloce and veloce ergo shifters..?

If they are all the same - looks like the finger and thumb extension procedure for me...
  • If the bike was new when you bought it three months ago they should be the same as what you already have as previously stated.

You may be better investing in some of these:

http://www.mooncostumes.com/item/4782
  • jackmcd
    :lol: Lol at the hands - good tip

I think I'll go back to Evans and ask why the ones on my bike are different.
  • 2alexcoo
    2alexcoo Posts: 251
    Those are 3rd generation Ergopower levers - it sounds like yours has 2nd generation ones like these:

campag%20mirage%20ergopower.jpg

The new levers are nicer, but won't really help with reach issues. It may be that a different shaped bar will work better for you. I use a 3T Ergonova which allows a nice flat transition to the hoods but also has a shallow drop, which makes it easy to brake from the drops.

Tweaking the lever position on your current bars, rather than rotating the whole bar, may also help.
    Alex
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,807
    The newer shifters are much better than the second generation ones (take this from a man with the hands of a small monkey) and definitely think about getting compact bars - they help loads when you’re in the drops.
  • Sammyw23
    Sammyw23 Posts: 627
    "The new levers are nicer, but won't really help with reach issues. It may be that a different shaped bar will work better for you. I use a 3T Ergonova which allows a nice flat transition to the hoods but also has a shallow drop, which makes it easy to brake from the drops. "

I would disagree on this point - I have freakishly small hands for a man and have tried both the old style levers and now have veloce new style ergo levers on both my bikes.

In my opinion, they actually have the best reach out of all the 3 big players for smaller hands as the brake levers are longer and more curved.

If you have a campag groupset (I assume you have) then I would suggest they would defo help.

Before you buy though I would go to a bike shop that stocks bikes with campag and try them out to be certain - everyone is different!
    Cervelo P3
    Bianchi Infinito
    Cannondale CAAD10
  • jackmcd
    Thanks folks - that really explains it as I think I prob tried the newest bike in store, then bought a last year bargain online....

New bars, and levers on my shopping list then - its strangely pleasurable having an excuse to buy upgrades and fiddle and even better if it improves my riding position :)

Like the look of the 3T Ergonova - how do you judge what size to get? Evans has 40-42-44cm..?
  • EKIMIKE
    EKIMIKE Posts: 2,232
    There's no difference between Veloce and 'Veloce Ergo' because all Campagnolo levers are called Ergo levers. It's just a name for the product line, not a functional reference.

If you're saying that your problem is that you can't reach the thumb lever from the drops, is it really that much of a problem? Can you not loosen your grip for a millisecond, move your hand up to reach and shift?

The 3rd new style levers are nicer but won't help a bit with this 'problem'.
  • cq20
    cq20 Posts: 207
    You have to be careful with some Campag equipped bikes. I don't know about Bianchi but Wilier are/were supplying some really ancient Campag stuff on new bikes. The lower end Wiliers I've looked at this year had 2010 (at the latest!) rather than 2011 Campag stuff (and they were still shipping 9 speed units in 2007/2008).
  • Berk Bonebonce
    Berk Bonebonce Posts: 1,245
    2011 Ergo levers will not work perfectly with 2010 and before rear mechs: http://www.campagnolo.com/repository/do ... orrige.pdf
  • jackmcd
    Oh cheers Berk - thats really handy to know - though slightly frustrating...