Tyre Pressures

yetidj4x
yetidj4x Posts: 2
edited June 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
I keep getting punctures on my Downhill bike and was wondering what the best tyre pressures for it are. Im curently running them about 24-25psi. I know it changes on depending where your riding but what is a good presure for everywhere, so i wont get punctures. I mostly ride stile cop, cannock chase, so if any one knows the best pressures for there that would be great.

Comments

• aaronmroach
    aaronmroach Posts: 341
    It depends on weight and tyre choice!!!!

When I was young and brave enough to regularly hit the DH sections at wharncliffe and dark peak etc I used to run EX729's with dual ply tyres and DH Butyl tubes with 38 psi in the back and 34 psi in the front when dry and when wet and muddy dropped 5 psi out of each!!! Any lower and I used to get pinch flats to often, any harder and I lost that nice feeling of the tyre squirming to find grip!!! I am 6ft 3 and 97 Kg tho!!!!

Its realy is a case of try it and see!!! Pick a course you know and love, and spend all day experimenting. I remeber spending days at wharncliffe with a track pump and a note book writing down pressures.......

Now im too old too fat and too scared a trail bike with 45psi and 40psi does me fine!!!!!
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    look in the FAQs.

there is no magic number as there are so many variables.

tyre size, your weight, ground conditions.

add more that you have or pick better lines.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    As said above, there's no magic number and it will differ from person to person, bike to bike, trail to trail etc... so you really just have to experiment,.

As a good starting point I usually run around 35psi in each for most stuff... maybe drop a few psi from each for wet, rooty trails.

I do like the rear to be a bit wild though. It's adds to the fun and you soon get used to how it handles and learn how much you can let it drift.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8