smartphones abroad

ddraver
ddraver Posts: 26,661
edited June 2011 in The bottom bracket
Hi guys,

I'm off abroad for work tomorrow and it's the first time I ve been with a smartphone - an HTC desire s. What are the things I need to keep turned off so I don't get a huge bill when I get home. I'm in a camp on the Sahara so will not need Google map services much !!

Thanks!
DaveK
We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
- @ddraver

Comments

• Ollieda
    Ollieda Posts: 1,010
    Internet roaming seems to be the big thing, make sure its not trying to constantly connect!
  • jthef
    jthef Posts: 226
    What you need to do is create a false data connection which cant connect to anything.
    Ive a hd2 and had no problem doing it and no data charges.
    You can still connect to wifi to go on the Internet which is what I did.

HTH
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    So data roaming,mobile networks off, do you know if the GPS is still free BTW?
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • yocto
    yocto Posts: 86
    ddraver wrote:
    So data roaming,mobile networks off, do you know if the GPS is still free BTW?

GPS is free, as it is your telephone picking up satellites, not network signal. Though do you have Apps that can use GPS and will not need to connect to the internet via 3g? Note that Apps like Google Maps, Google My Tracks, Navigation, need to connect to the internet to provide required information.

You will be able to use Google Sky Map though, using your GPS. This enables you to locate stars and constellations. Great if you are somewhere like the Sahara. Was camping in the White and black deserts in Egypt a while ago and was somehow surreal using such technology in such a setting.
  • stevec205gti
    stevec205gti Posts: 366
    If it's anything like my iPhone turn off all your push notifications - otherwise it'll keep looking for / downloading data changes and spending your money!!!
    Has the head wind picked up or the tail wind dropped off???
  • DrewDubya
    DrewDubya Posts: 35
    I'm abroad 2 to 4 times a month with my HTC Desire. I simply turn off the mobile network connection and no charges. My phone also has mobile network data romaing set to off permanently in the settings so technically turning off mobile network is "belt and braces" - but I've never recevied any charges this way.

GPS is fine.

If youy haven't been abroad before make sure that you have contacted your service provider and have roaming on your phone turned on - many have this set as off by defauly so you might not even be able to use texts or calls.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Apparently by EU law, you have to be able to switch on data on phones nowadays, however my Nokia X6 was made before the law came in, so I have to specifically phone Orange to get them to cut off my data feed and then phone them again when I'm back to get them to switch it on again...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • oscar-j
    oscar-j Posts: 269
    Settings-Wireless and internet-Airplane mode. This disconnects thr phone from all internet connections
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,155
    assuming you still want to be able to receive calls/texts, just turn off data roaming

if you install an app such as droidstats it'll track voice and data usage, so you can also keep an eye on what's happening

check your contract for what you'll pay for voice/text/data in the countries you'll be in, outside the eu the carriers can charge a lot more, in some countries you can get a local payg sim that gives much better rates (as long as your phone isn't locked to your carrier)
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • mercurykev
    mercurykev Posts: 264
    I've got a Desire S and it is just a case of unchecking the 'Data Roaming' option which you can find in settings>wireless & networks>mobile networks. This is actually unchecked by default and when you go abroad the phone actually tells you that roaming data is off.