Whats required for Tubeless ready wheelset?

WILL 1 AM
WILL 1 AM Posts: 132
edited June 2011 in MTB beginners
Hi

I have a set of XT wheelset and these are apparently Tubeless ready.

So is it a case of bunging on a set of Tubeless Tyres and Im all set to roll ? which do you recommend?
OR

Is there a bit of work to be done such as sealents and green slimey stuff to put in etc

I only see post with Tubeless conversions etc so I am not to sure how to go about it.

Thank you

Will

Comments

• paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    I have a set of Hope Hoops / Stans ZTR Crest rims which are also "Tubless ready", so have done the same investigation this week.

I have bought this kit: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=49111 which is specifically for my rims, but might also work for yours (I have no idea... :oops: )

I also bought a valve core remover and some spare valve cores as I am a bit ham-fisted, along with some new tyres as I thought it would be nice to start with some without any holes in...

You will need to do some research on what kind of tyres are compatible with your rims, UST is the standard, but I found on the Stan's web site that they weren't required for my rims.
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets
  • WILL 1 AM
    WILL 1 AM Posts: 132
    Thks, anyone one using XT.wheels?
  • bentes
    bentes Posts: 286
    Hi!

I just bought a new bike this week and it comes with XT wheels.
    The rims are tubeless ready wich means you only need to fit a tubeless tire and inflate.

In my case I also used some sealant because the tires are very porous but it's got nothing to do with the rims.

Just fit tubeless tires (and sealant if you prefer).
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    Surely you have to use sealant, otherwise you would have to stick a tube in at the first sign of a little prick...
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets
  • toasty
    toasty Posts: 2,598
    The XT wheels are "UST", which means they can fit proper tubeless tyres, no rim strips or sealant needed. I'd advise putting a little bit of sealant in there anyway though, as it'll give you the puncture proofing.

The Stans setup isn't UST, it relies on the fluid and the tape to make a seal, on the plus side you can happily run it with none tubeless tyres.
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    I've got XT UST ready rims, have run both tubeless ready and normal tyres (without tubes) on them. Have always used some stans sealant though for puncture resistance, and you'll probably need it for the normal tyres to make them airtight. I was amazed how porous the continental tyres are..