Changing Forks..

forbez
forbez Posts: 62
edited June 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi Guys, i'm looking to possibly replace my current forks, if I cant fix my current ones, for a reasonable price.

I have a Giant Yukon Fx2, with Dart 2 forks, but I was speaking to a mate the other day who said he had bought some forks, that were the wrong fitment. (He may of said they were tapered?)

How do i identify whether my forks are tapered or not (if not, what are they known as?)
I've tried googling the bike and forks, but i'm unsure.

Hopefully you guys can assist me.

Thanks Tom

My Bikeradar status is : Riding a Giant Yukon FX2

Comments

• forbez
    forbez Posts: 62
    Thank you very much for your speedy response.

My Bikeradar status is : Riding a Giant Yukon FX2
  • salsarider79
    salsarider79 Posts: 828
    Tapered mean that the lower part of the steerer tube (The part that goes into the frame and you clamp the handlebars and stem to) will be larger at the bottom than the top.

You'll need forks that are 1.125" (also know as 1 1/8")
    jedster wrote:
    Just off to contemplate my own mortality and inevitable descent into decrepedness.
    FCN 3 or 4 on road depending on clothing
    FCN 8 off road because I'm too old to go racing around.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Tapered mean that the lower part of the steerer tube (The part that goes into the frame and you clamp the handlebars and stem to) will be larger at the bottom than the top.

not very well said as all fork steerers are wider at the base than at the top :wink:
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown