New Bike - My Just Built Bike Photos

Gav2000
Gav2000 Posts: 408
edited June 2011 in Your road bikes
I've just finished putting together my new bike, what do you think?

I've acquired the parts over the last few weeks from eBay and Planet X, the frame is from the US and is bamboo and aluminium. I've not had a chance to ride it yet other than up and down the road to get the gears properly adjusted but it's well proportioned so should be good for some long rides.

Gav.

NewBike1a.jpg

NewBike2a.jpg

NewBike4a.jpg

NewBike5a.jpg
Gav2000

Like a streak of lightnin' flashin' cross the sky,
Like the swiftest arrow whizzin' from a bow,
Like a mighty cannonball he seems to fly.
You'll hear about him ever'where you go.

Comments

• Hierotochan
    Hierotochan Posts: 108
    That is some... interesting looking bike you've got there mate.
    Love the matching cages!

After you've given it a few miles let us know how the bamboo feels to ride.
    It it reinforced or dose it flex some?
    Welcome to Hoogerland, Population: Heroes.

Danny Hart; How does he sit down with balls that big?
  • oscar-j
    oscar-j Posts: 269
    nice job,looks like you've bent the saddle though!
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    ermmm...
  • Gav2000
    That is some... interesting looking bike you've got there mate.
    Love the matching cages!

After you've given it a few miles let us know how the bamboo feels to ride.
    It it reinforced or dose it flex some?

There's no obvious flex although bamboo is supposed to absorb vibrations well. When you look down the seat tube you can see that the bamboo is quite thick walled, about 5mm I'd guess.

Gav.
    Gav2000

• mokl
    mokl Posts: 22
    I love it, looks brilliant IMO
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Is it my duff eyesight or are the wheels oval?
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,802
    You'd better watch out for pandas...
  • Gav2000
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Is it my duff eyesight or are the wheels oval?

I think resizing the photo has altered the proportions slightly, I shall definitely be having words with Planet X if the wheels are oval!
    Gav2000

• jim453
    jim453 Posts: 1,360
    How much did the frame cost, including shipping?

If you don't mind me asking such a vulgar question.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    You'd better watch out for pandas...

Eh? Pandas don't eat bamboo, they eat koalas.
  • coombsfh
    coombsfh Posts: 186
    I love the idea of using bamboo for a frame. Is there any kind of special treatment it needs (no fertilizer jokes please).

Of all the bikes I have seen on here (not been here long but have seen a fair few) this one is the most fun.

Hope it is a hoot to ride.

best wishes,

Fred.
  • Gav2000
    jim453 wrote:
    How much did the frame cost, including shipping?

If you don't mind me asking such a vulgar question.

It was on ebay for $699 + $65 shipping as a Buy It Now or Make an Offer auction. I offered $435 for the frame, forks and the 2 bottle cages and they accepted.

It was therefore $500 including shipping and arrived in about 4 days. At the current exchange rate that's £310. Very luckily I didn't get asked for any import taxes when it arrived.

The total build cost including a Campag Veloce groupset and Planet X model B wheels was less than £1,000.

Fred - I don't think it needs any special care. The bamboo is lacquered and I think bamboo is strong and long lasting anyway, they use it for scaffolding in Hong Kong.
    Gav2000

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Gav2000 wrote:
    The bamboo is lacquered and I think bamboo is strong and long lasting anyway, they use it for scaffolding in Hong Kong.

So your new bike is made of scaffold pole tubes :lol:

It looks cool - what is the quoted frame weight as a matter of interest. Not that it matters much but interesting to compare it to a standard steel frame.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Gav2000
    "Rolf wrote:
    It looks cool - what is the quoted frame weight as a matter of interest. Not that it matters much but interesting to compare it to a standard steel frame.

The frame is sized as XL / 59cm, I weighed it before putting the headset in and it weighed about 1.8kg.

I haven't weighed the overall bike, it feels heavier than my carbon bike which is probably mostly down to the frame and the carbon forks with an alloy steerer tube.
    Gav2000

• mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,646
    what does it ride like?
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Gav2000
    what does it ride like?

It's difficult to say exactly as I think the overall setup is a bit better suited to me than my carbon bike. My carbon bike puts me in a lower more stretched position which is fine but I do appreciate the slightly more upright position I have on this bike.

One key difference over my carbon bike is that it's much more comfortable (and less noisy) over rougher roads. The 2 bikes have the same wheels and saddles but I have to conclude that it's more suited to some of the rather rough roads I find around Northampton and Milton Keynes. A heavier weight of the frame and forks on this bike probably contribute to that feeling but it also feels to be more absorbing of road roughness.

So far though I am very pleased with the bike and hope to get some longer rides on it over the rest of the summer.

Gav.
    Gav2000

• Keith1983
    Keith1983 Posts: 575
    The handlebar tape looks nice and comfy, what is it? I know that's a sad thing to notice about this bike!

Just out of interest what is the warranty on the frame? Can you replace the bamboo parts if necessary?
  • Gav2000
    Keith1983 wrote:
    The handlebar tape looks nice and comfy, what is it? I know that's a sad thing to notice about this bike!

Just out of interest what is the warranty on the frame? Can you replace the bamboo parts if necessary?

The handlebar tape is made by BBB and was off ebay, it was only about £5. There weren't many to chose from when searching for brown, tan or beige. It's quite thick tape but I have added some short strips of spare tape (underneath the brown tape) to the tops of the bars and round to the brake hoods to thicken up the bars a bit.

I'm not sure about the frame warranty, it's from the US, I guess I'd have to check the sellers website. I don't believe that any bamboo section can be replaced, I assume that they are glued/expoyed into the alloy sections.

Gavin.
    Gav2000