Correct Chain Length

Gizmokev
Gizmokev Posts: 146
edited June 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Ok I have a Norco Six 04 frame fitted with a SRAM 9 speed block on rear and a Truvativ double bash front arrangment. Looking to purchase new chain as the current one is way to short (the arm is fully stretched forward in the top 2 gears on the middle ring (outer in my case). Chain I am looking at is the SRAM PC991 9 speed chain.

How do I set this chain up to the correct length and what are the indicators to show it is right?

Thanks in advance and yes I have looked in the workshops to see if anything is relevant!

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    around the big rings and add a link. taking into consideration any chain growth as the suspension works.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Gizmokev
    Gizmokev Posts: 146
    Sorry Nick but struggling to understand what you mean by that.

What am I looking for when getting the chain length right as in the rear derailleur when its in the different gears?

Obviously you dont want it pointing fully forward like its pointing the way for you to ride or anything like that so what are the things to look at when setting the chain length as I cant just go and use the old chain to get a good length (ooer missus) off.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown