Hayes Stroker Ryde rear brake

widge34
widge34 Posts: 900
edited June 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
I have Hayes Stroker Rydes on my Mongoose. The rear brake is not stopping the wheel. I thought initially it was the brake pads, but i have inspected them and they have plenty of life in them. There appears to be no oil leaks either.
Do they need bleeding?
----
Widge.

Bird Zero 2
Trek Madone 3.5c H2 2013

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    read the topic in the FAQs?

how does the lever feel solid like normal? clean rotor and replace the pads.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • widge34
    Well when i was out on the ride, the brake lever was coming back almost to the bar grip. Got home took pads out to inspect. Pads look fine so put them back in. Now the brake lever feels like it always has, but when the lever is applied i can pull the bike and the wheel goes round.
    ----
    Widge.

Bird Zero 2
    Trek Madone 3.5c H2 2013
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    that could be air in the system and you have just pumped up the brakes so it now feels fine.

if the lever feels spongy after some long time of no use then yes it need a bleed. and double check for leaks with the lever pulled.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • widge34
    Might be a stupid question. But how does air get in the system?
    ----
    Widge.

Bird Zero 2
    Trek Madone 3.5c H2 2013
  • widge34
    Well i thought i would just try and swap front and back pads over. Now the dodgy rear brake is great and although the front brake wasnt as good as it was it still feels better than when the pads were on the back.
    Could the pads be contaminated or possibly glazed over? Perhaps tomorrow i will give the pads a scrub with some sandpaper.

Also if there is air in the system. Is it possible that the air bubble could have possibly moved up to the resevoir? As the brake lever now feels fine.
    ----
    Widge.

Bird Zero 2
    Trek Madone 3.5c H2 2013
  • JonnyN
    JonnyN Posts: 181
    Have you adjusted the lever reach by any chance. Rydes tend to bottom out on themselves...
    "Time you enjoy wasting, is not a waste of time"

"I'm too young to be too old for this shit"

Specialized FSRxc Expert 2008
    Kona Stinky 2008 (Deceased)
    Trek Scratch Air 8 2010 (Work in Progress)
  • widge34
    JonnyN wrote:
    Have you adjusted the lever reach by any chance. Rydes tend to bottom out on themselves...

Thanks for the suggestion, but levers havn't been adjusted since i built bike.
    ----
    Widge.

Bird Zero 2
    Trek Madone 3.5c H2 2013