Tour Series - Canary Wharf

Gazzaputt
Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
edited June 2011 in Commuting chat
Wanted to cycle to this next Thursday from work at Charlton.

Now getting over the river isn't a problem but the Greenwich foot tunnel closes at 9pm so getting back home to Bexley is a head scratcher.

Any ideas? DLR out along with the tube.

Thinking maybe cycling to North Woolwich and take the ferry across the Thames.

Comments

• dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Do the DLR anyway? One stop from Island Gardens and feign ignorance?
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • keyser__soze
    keyser__soze Posts: 2,067
    Woolwich ferry shuts at 10
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"
  • I went last year and, from what I remember, it was still light when I returned. So maybe not quite early enough for the Greenwich Foot Tunnel but there still should be time to catch the Woolwich ferry. I'll go and check the times for the race.

EDIT: yes, it looks like it starts at the same time as last year so maybe I'd guess that crossings will still be open.
  • Gazzaputt
    As the mens race starts at 19.00 and finishes around 20.00 should be ok to make the foot tunnel before the 21.00 closing.
  • noodles71
    noodles71 Posts: 153
    Good luck with them letting you on the DLR. Every time I have tried they send me away with a buzz in my ear. You could pay the good value £3.80 or whatever it is for the minute and a half on the ferry.

As tempting as the Rotherhithe tunnel is for a short cut I choose to go Tower Brige still as the effects from the fumes and keeping up in primary position with traffic going through the tunnel is pretty nasty.
  • Butterd2
    Butterd2 Posts: 937
    I'm assuming the Greenwich tunnel is closed because of the works? It used to be open 24hours?
    If so use the Woolwich foot tunnel which I believe should still be open.
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Pace RC200 FG Conversion (FCN 5)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • noodles71
    noodles71 Posts: 153
    The Woolwich foot tunnel is completely closed for the next 3 months and the Greenwich one will remain closed after 9pm until September. That is of course until September when we will be told it will be December.

Anyone been through it lately? All I can see for the past 14 months worth of work is a new cable runner down the ceiling. Everything else looks the bloody same. I was under the impression the stairs were to be replaced as well as the lifts, not just narrowed.
  • samivel
    samivel Posts: 81
    I was on the DLR the other day and a cyclist tried to get on. He was informed that your not allowed bikes on the DLR.

Riding the CS route to Tower bridge could be an option
    Samivel

Black Allez, FCN 5, will always try to say hello.
    Normal commute - Eltham, Greenwich, London Bridge
  • Obie
    Obie Posts: 51
    You can go through the Greenwich foot tunnel at the moment.....However the lift has been out of action so be prepared to carry your bike up and down the stairs.
    FCN 8.
  • Gazzaputt
    Greenwich Council told me today the foot tunnel is open 24 hours but no lifts.