XC Full Suspension or All Mountain?

h34e0f
h34e0f Posts: 370
edited June 2011 in MTB general
What's the difference?

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Depends on the bike. Generally the XC versions are lighter, steeper, shorter travel and less robust.
  • h34e0f
    So basically an All Mountain is just a bit more rugged..?

Leading on from this I've always been confused about DH forks, and how they look to be made to be the toughest possible (using direct attaching stems etc.) however freestyle bikes tend to take the most bashing.

I know it depends entirely on the rider and the actual bike but as a general rule it's never made a lot of sense to me.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Freeride bikes don't usually go down hills at 50mph though. Stiffness and performance are key, not just blunt strength.
  • bentes
    bentes Posts: 286
    I think it's because DH the riders try to get down as fast as possible. So the less they need to worry about hardware failure, the more "direct" route they may choose.

On freeride, the riders tend to be more focused on technique and style than on time so they use lighter material in order to have more maneuvrable bikes.

But I believe that depending on the track, a lot of DH racers use single crown forks and freeriders use double crowns.

So in the end it's just a question of getting the right "tool" for the job. :?

Edit: Sonic beat me to it. better listen to him instead. ;)
  • h34e0f
    Yeah I guess it solely depends on the set up of the bike and the individual riding it. But yes, the speed thing makes total sense.

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    You might find this interesting. Or not.
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12781600
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • h34e0f
    yeah was reading that a minute ago, thanks