SRAM X9 Cranks and BB

jbwilliamz
jbwilliamz Posts: 187
edited June 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

I've recently built up my own bike and bought/fitted a SRAM X9 2x10 cransket on the supplied GXP bottom bracket. Shown on the fitting instructions, it states that on the narrower bottom bracket length (68-71cm I think?) I should put two "washers" in. These weren't supplied with the product though?

I've put the cranks on and tightened them and they seemed fine for the first couple rides. On the last outing, I noticed a small amount of grinding...? It isn't perfectly smooth considering they're new cranks?

Can anyone point me in the right direction? I can't find the Fitting Instructions on the SRAM/Truvativ page either?

Cheers,
John

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    from CRC?

yes it should have come with spacers and you should use them as your chain line will be off and the bearings may not be running on the machined surfaces that they should be.

http://www.sram.com/sites/default/files ... sets_2.pdf
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • jbwilliamz
    nicklouse wrote:
    from CRC?

yes it should have come with spacers and you should use them as your chain line will be off and the bearings may not be running on the machined surfaces that they should be.

http://www.sram.com/sites/default/files ... sets_2.pdf

Chain Reaction? Yep...how did you know? Is there anyway to get a couple spacers?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    ask CRC where they were. ask Your LBS if they have spare. they should have some.

Buy a new Set of Cups as they will come with spacers and you have a spare set of bearings for when you need them.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • jbwilliamz
    Cheers for your help!

Would they a set width? Or are they varied for different BB's?