Understanding components

richVSrich
richVSrich Posts: 527
edited June 2011 in Commuting chat
Been trying to do my homework and trying to understand components, and what prices they are, etc...

Comparing these 2 bikes (Genesis Aethers) - is the 20 worth the extra £200 ( a third more than the 10)...would you notice anything ? (frame, fork, hubs, brakes, saddle, seatpost, tyres are all the same):

http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/produ ... _Bike_2011

http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/produ ... _Bike_2011

Thanks for the education in advance!

Comments

• will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopi ... =12780833&
    Smokin Joe wrote:
    I posted this answer on groupsets before, but just the re-iterate -

Better engineered equipment is nicer to use. The difference between Sora and Dura Ace is like the difference between shagging an ugly munter and a fit young blonde. They both have all the same bits in the same place and they all do the job so there's no physical reason why riding the latter should feel better than riding the former.

It just does.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Rule of thumb is to go for the one you like the look of the best, and if that doesn't split it buy the most expensive so that you can tell your mates how much bikes cost these days.
  • richVSrich
    cheers guys!

like smokin joe's analogy :P

have now posted to that thread...
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    It's not just the drive components in those bikes BTW,
    then brakes, rims and pedals are also different (clipless in the 20)
    The 20 has HTII bottome bracket, the 10 has square taper (though you'll probably not notice the difference)
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    will3 wrote:
    It's not just the drive components in those bikes BTW,
    then brakes, rims and pedals are also different (clipless in the 20)
    The 20 has HTII bottome bracket, the 10 has square taper (though you'll probably not notice the difference)

I am going to be controversial and say that square taper is generally superior to HTII.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Genesis do make some nice bikes - but both of these two seem to be a pretty low spec for the money IMO?

If you can live without brand snobbery (because of the Halfords connection) I'd probably be spending my money on one of the Boardman machines in this sort of price bracket.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • richVSrich
    SimonAH - i wasnt specifically looking to get one of these bikes, i was mainly using them as an example...i dont mind boardmans - i have a hybrid and do think it's pretty good value..

i am looking for a pretty bike tho...and i rather dislike the boardman colour schemes (silly i know)...but i would want a light / bright / pretty bike ...any ideas? dare i ask how much getting a bike re painted would be?
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    edited June 2011
    Bianchi

can't beat a bit of Italian style
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • The major difference between the two is the jump from 2300 to Tiagra groupsets. I've never used 2300, but it is the bottom of the road range. I have heard tell that the components are prone to corrosion and need a lot of adjustments.

I have used Tiagra extensively, and can honestly say that it's superb. I've never had a problem with it in the least.

I ride the Genesis Equilibrium most days, I built it up from frame and forks using mostly bits I had from other bikes. Great bike.