Shimano cleats - How can you tell when they need replacing?

ThePriory1978
ThePriory1978 Posts: 563
edited June 2011 in MTB general
As it says in the Subject.

Do they have wear indicators? Manuals vague. Just says replace when worn.

Ta.

Snot green Canyon Nerve AM 8.0x

Comments

• alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    In my experience they get difficult to release from the pedals (which seems counter-intuitive, but new cleats fixed it!).
  • bentes
    bentes Posts: 286
    I replaced mine when I got new shoes.
    The old ones still work after 5 ou 6 years though...
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    SPD - SL have handy worn indicators. (yellow or red depending on if they float or not)

I have no idea about SPD's though (arent they metal)
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • TownyDC
    TownyDC Posts: 157
    I'm still using the same cleats after 10 years, new pedals though and shoes but not cleats.
    Still clip in and out fine, had plenty of use as i'm always falling off.
    Towny
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    IME worn cleats tend to feel sloppy in the pedals and you get a lot more accidental releases, there's no indicator or anything, replace when you think they need it!
  • Mccraque
    Mccraque Posts: 819
    if they still work, then don't worry.

Mine were 7 years old. replaced on saturday just gone! and they still worked but were a lot looser and kept pulling foot out on climbs - and descents (more dangerous).

No matter how much I tightened the pedals, they would not get tighter
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    As above you lose that smug 'clack' noise, climbing is a chore and your feet are all over the place.

Like riding with flat pedals :)
  • bentes
    bentes Posts: 286
    njee20 wrote:
    IME worn cleats tend to feel sloppy in the pedals and you get a lot more accidental releases, there's no indicator or anything, replace when you think they need it!

Now that you mentioned it, they used to have a few accidental releases but since I started using the new ones they stoped.
  • bike-a-swan
    bike-a-swan Posts: 1,235
    They feel looser, but are actually harder to get out in my experience. Then you start falling over, at that point it's probably time to change!
    Rock Lobster 853, Trek 1200 and a very old, tired and loved Apollo Javelin.