OT - Swedish, Oil, Skin...

CyclingBantam
CyclingBantam Posts: 1,299
edited June 2011 in Commuting chat
.... now I have your attention, has anyone on here had a massage (propper paid for one) before? I have experienced some pain/tightness in my shoulders/neck and am thinking about getting a sports massage to hopefully sort out the issue.

Have people found them effective? Worthwhile? Anything to consider.

Also, there are no prizes for Prostitute gags...

Comments

• SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    I had one at a physio to massage out a knot that caused nerve damage I still have some problems with now _ over eighteen months later.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    edited June 2011
    Yep, I got a 60 min Swedish Massage at Gentlemen's Tonic in Mayfair for an anniversary present (from the wife) this year.

It was enjoyable and relaxing and while I felt better afterwards, normal service was resume the next day.

I don't think a single massage will give you the quick fix you are looking for. If you have an injury I would suggest a sport injury clinic and expect it to take some time.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • bearfraser
    bearfraser Posts: 435
    Ho Ho Ho who you calling a Ho?
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    Good friend of mine is a trained sports one. Works normally out of house in walthamstow but also clinic in north london.
    Strong and knows his techniques well - can hurt but its a good pain and always sorts out any niggles i've had.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I get the on a regular basis as there is a masseuse that visits our office. I generally have sports massage for my calves, quads and ITB.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    edited June 2011
    .... now I have your attention, has anyone on here had a massage (propper paid for one) before? I have experienced some pain/tightness in my shoulders/neck and am thinking about getting a sports massage to hopefully sort out the issue.

Have people found them effective? Worthwhile? Anything to consider.

Also, there are no prizes for Prostitute gags...

Prostitute gags? Are they more direct versions of super injunctions?
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    I once ran two marathons on consecutive weekends and had an hour long sports massage on the Wednesday in-between. It was incredibly painful but well worth it. Puts muscles back in their places and helps to flush out toxins. Will never forget watching the woman, through tears in my eyes, as she put all her weight down on her elbow to work "deep" on my thighs. £55 well spent, but no happy finish.
  • CyclingBantam
    SimonAH wrote:
    I had one at a physio to massage out a knot that caused nerve damage I still have some problems with now _ over eighteen months later.

Not that I am stalking you Simon, but I may have a simular complaint to what you mentioned on a thread the other week.

My pain was mainly in one shoulder towards the end of rider of 70 miles or more. I have forward rolled shoulders slightly as well I think. Since changing my sitting position at work (screen height, knees bent, back straight etc) I feel stuff has got slightly worse than when I used to slump a bit more!

I am hoping it is because I am using muscles differently to how they are used but was hoping a massage may help with this initial twinges.

The pain is no way near unbearable, just a little annoying and indicative of something not being quite right.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    After being left hooked I had physio twice a week for about nine months for neck/shoulder problems. It was brilliant.

I didn't think I'd be able to ride a bike (or do any sport) again but about six months after the collision I was back on the bike.
    When I completed my first century, I went to see my physio the next day with a bunch of flowers to say thanks.

If you have a problem, get it checked out and hopefully you'll have a happy ending.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Yes, After doing a few triathlons.....sports massage make all the difference. Even after a long, sh1tty week in the office - nothing quite like it, usually nod off during said massage.....

As for prostitute gags;

Working in Isreal, I was asked by a guy in an elevator in a Tel Aviv beachside hotel where he could get a good massage - directed him to the local hookers that hung around the beach area at night. He was a happy little man :-)
  • sketchley
    prostitute gag

A couple are on their wedding night when she say’s to him “I’ve a confession to make dear. I used to be hooker” “Don’t worry about that love. In fact I find that quite kinky and erotic” said the new hubby. She replied “But, my name was Gareth then and I played rugby for Wales”.
    --
    Chris

• richVSrich
    richVSrich Posts: 527
    anyone tried hot yoga / bikram? well worth considering for stretching out all your muscles...legs, back, neck etc
  • essex-commuter
    essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
    I have sports massage every month, and every fortnight when I was marathon training. Worth it's weight in gold I reckon. Feels a bit strange paying someone £35 to hurt me though.
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    I had hot stones treatment once....kinda nice. Easy for the masseuse too....she buggered off!
  • hfidgen
    hfidgen Posts: 340
    Got a good one on Great Eastern Street, big Iranian guy goes by the name of "Eddie".

Hands like ham hocks and you come out feeling like he's ripped your arms off and tied them around your neck but by christ it works.
    FCN 4 - BMC CX02
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    I have sports massage every month, and every fortnight when I was marathon training. Worth it's weight in gold I reckon. Feels a bit strange paying someone £35 to hurt me though.

Many do. Mainly politicians and high powered businessmen.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Confusedboy
    Confusedboy Posts: 287
    'Proper paid for massage'. Yeah, we know what you mean and don't mean, but in my experience the 'improper' sort has to be paid for as well.

A friend of mine is a sports masseuse using Reiki techniques. She will pull your neck and shoulders all over the place but you do feel the benefit after in terms of comfort and lack of tension. I'd say go for it, and if it doesn't work it'll be time to see your GP.
  • CyclingBantam
    I was actually trying to stopp the comments like "I had one from 'our Lass but she is a little clumsy and has hands like an elephants heel. I ended up in hospital".

Thanks for all the comments though. I am going to get myself booked in.

Can you specify what they look like... no... ok.. :oops:
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    One of my female friends is training to be a maseuse, so I get freebies all the time as she has to fulfill a certain amount of practice time for the course... She wants to use me as one of her "projects" for the course...

Had a sports massage about 6 months ago which was pretty good, it was the friend of a friend who does sports massages for Fulham FC. She identified that my soleus muscles were very tight which was good to know, I stretch them a lot now....
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • sketchley
    'Proper paid for massage'. Yeah, we know what you mean and don't mean, but in my experience the 'improper' sort has to be paid for as well.

A friend of mine is a sports masseuse using Reiki techniques. She will pull your neck and shoulders all over the place but you do feel the benefit after in terms of comfort and lack of tension. I'd say go for it, and if it doesn't work it'll be time to see your GP.

http://scienceblogs.com/whitecoatunderg ... _all_t.php
    --
    Chris