London: Tube Strike - Last week of June

richVSrich
richVSrich Posts: 527
edited June 2011 in Commuting chat
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-13706133

Whilst cycling will beat the strike, the roads will be super packed with bicycles and cars.

Keep calm and carry on!

Comments

• EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    A tube driver chipped a nail again?
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Doesn't really affect me in SE London, no Tube down my way anyway. Last Tube strike I just used the Old Kent Rd route rather than the route through Surrey Quays and barely noticed a change in traffic levels...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Given Boris's inability to relocate bikes back to mainline stations on a morning, I doubt it will be too much more crowded.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • jamesco
    jamesco Posts: 687
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

This is the fella that was (reportedly...) abusive to his colleagues that weren't so keen on striking as he was. Would be ironic if the tribunal upholds the decision and he gets the sack for good ;)
  • shm_uk
    shm_uk Posts: 683
    "Drivers belonging to the RMT will strike between 0901 BST on 19 June and 0300 BST on 20 June, between 0901 BST on 27 June and 1159 BST on 28 June, between noon on 29 June and 1159 BST on 30 June and between noon and 2100 BST on 1 July"

Never realised Tube pilots were so pedantic with their timekeeping.

Striking at 0901. Not 0859. Or 0900. Or 0902.

But then why 0300 BST, and not 0259 or 0301 ?

And then they get a bit lazy and it's becomes just 'noon' ... early finish Friday to beat the traffic home and get a longer weekend :-)
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    shm_uk wrote:
    "Drivers belonging to the RMT will strike between 0901 BST on 19 June and 0300 BST on 20 June, between 0901 BST on 27 June and 1159 BST on 28 June, between noon on 29 June and 1159 BST on 30 June and between noon and 2100 BST on 1 July"

Never realised Tube pilots were so pedantic with their timekeeping.

Striking at 0901. Not 0859. Or 0900. Or 0902.

But then why 0300 BST, and not 0259 or 0301 ?

And then they get a bit lazy and it's becomes just 'noon' ... early finish Friday to beat the traffic home and get a longer weekend :-)

It's probably something to do with shift patterns...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • bearfraser
    bearfraser Posts: 435
    Tube , whats that???????????????
  • richVSrich
    t4tomo wrote:
    Given Boris's inability to relocate bikes back to mainline stations on a morning, I doubt it will be too much more crowded.

not really talking about the boris bikes - just all the people who keep bikes in their sheds for most of the year, and people who will try and drive to work...the roads will be much busier!
  • richVSrich
    bearfraser wrote:
    Tube , whats that???????????????

i did have Lahndahn in the title :)
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    Bob Crow is a dinosaur, this is not the 70s anymore and he needs to wind his thick neck in and grow the f#ck up
  • georgee
    georgee Posts: 537
    They are now talking of throwing people out of social housing if you earn over £100k a year. Luckily this will make Crow homeless and a bit less of a scrounger but i'm pretty sure 99% of us would still rather see him under a bus.
  • Paul E
    georgee wrote:
    They are now talking of throwing people out of social housing if you earn over £100k a year. Luckily this will make Crow homeless and a bit less of a scrounger but i'm pretty sure 99% of us would still rather see him under a bus.

£140k a year was the last number I saw for his earnings a year from the RMT, that must be hard work, organise a few strikes a year and look like you care about your poor downtroden workers on tv now and again.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    Paul E wrote:
    Bob Crow is a total feckin' n0b, this is not the 70s anymore and he needs to wind his thick neck in and grow the f#ck up

FTFY

The roads will be horrendous, peds wondering round like anaesthetised sheep, cars and taxis going berserk, and then there are the 'occasional cyclists', the most dangerous species known to man

WFH that day, I think

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    SecretSam wrote:
    Paul E wrote:
    Bob Crow is a total feckin' n0b, this is not the 70s anymore and he needs to wind his thick neck in and grow the f#ck up

FTFY

The roads will be horrendous, peds wondering round like anaesthetised sheep, cars and taxis going berserk, and then there are the 'occasional cyclists', the most dangerous species known to man

WFH that day, I think

The alternative is to find out where he'll be holding is normal picketing press conference and then descend on mass to tell him what we think of him..
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • hfidgen
    hfidgen Posts: 340
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

Would be funny if it weren't true...
    FCN 4 - BMC CX02
  • Butterd2
    Butterd2 Posts: 937
    georgee wrote:

Definite +1 to that!
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Pace RC200 FG Conversion (FCN 5)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • Paul E
    SecretSam wrote:
    Paul E wrote:

FTFY

WFH that day, I think

That works much better, thanks :)
  • rebs
    rebs Posts: 891
    The alternative is to find out where he'll be holding is normal picketing press conference and then descend on mass to tell him what we think of him..

I'd be so up to do this! :P
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    The Tube is going down the tubes. Sack all those who go on strike.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Today felt like a Tube strike day, given the number of total fcukwits on the road.
  • richVSrich
    bump - reminder for next week...
  • Blandiblub
    Blandiblub Posts: 134
    The tribunal into the sacked worker ruled pretty much 50:50 - ie: his actions deserved discipline but short of sacking.

Talks between LU & RMT were/are due today. Unless there's something fairly dramatic, it might be a bit tight to call them off, even if both sides take the above outcome in good faith.

Guess it'll go either way and the BBC, etc, will probably know before most.
    Specialized Allez Elite 2011 *NEW*
    Specialized Sirrus Elite 2011
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • Blandiblub
    Blandiblub Posts: 134
    Specialized Allez Elite 2011 *NEW*
    Specialized Sirrus Elite 2011
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • snooks
    snooks Posts: 1,521
    The tube drivers must have got their dates wrong.......They usually only strike when England have a game of footy on.

So also expect strikes on 10/8/11 and 2/9/11

:D
    FCN:5, 8 & 9
    If I'm not riding I'm shooting http://grahamsnook.com
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs