frame spec 120mm fork, can I go higher?

lee170
lee170 Posts: 236
edited June 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all,
I have a whyte 19 frame which says on the whyte website that the frame geometry is 120mm fork, I am thinking of buying some rock shox revelations uturn 85-130mm.
Can the frame take the extra travel or would I ruin the handling etc.

Also are revs any good?[/u][/i]
2015 orange crush
2015 cannondale super six evo

Comments

• stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Revs are very good forks at least as good as anything out there and tough as old boots.

Why not drop Whyte an email and ask you might invalidate your warranty if you run something too long. Personally I wouldnt worry about 10mm but its not my frame or my warranty.

You dont have to run the Revs at 130 you could just limit yourself to 120mm.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • lee170
    lee170 Posts: 236
    Yeah could run them at 120mm but was just curious so if I hit the big stuff I could take it to 130mm.

Thanks for the help
    2015 orange crush
    2015 cannondale super six evo
  • Steve_b77
    Steve_b77 Posts: 1,680
    Find out what the axle to crown limit is on the frame. As all manufacturers vary for any given travel this is the overriding factor as it dictates the amount of leverage the fork applies to the frame.

My 140mm Marzocchi 44's are shorter than my 130mm RS Dual Air Revs by around 5mm on the Axle to Crown measurement, despite having more travel.