tyre width

Rybes
Rybes Posts: 110
edited June 2011 in MTB general
mornin all. i was just wonderin on how much clearance you should have each side of your tyre? ive jus got meself a set of new forks and they can take a 2.4 inch tyre.my bike at the mo runs 1.9 front and rear. ive had a look on the kona website but cant find any suggestions or an email addy to send the question too. so im askin you MTB gurus what you think 8)

fankees :D
2004 cinder cone, grey
madison prime seat
3 inch handle bar risers
bg comfort grips
lidl seat pack
diamond back pedals
2009 reba sl's
more to come......

Comments

• aaronmroach
    aaronmroach Posts: 341
    What frame is it??

I would personally leave approx 20mm either side of the tyre till the swingarm / rear stays.
  • Rybes
    a 2004 kona cinder cone. not to sure how much gap i have atthe moment as the bikes not here. its bein sent over today so hopefully ill have it by the end of the week maybe monday so ill have a better i dea then.
    2004 cinder cone, grey
    madison prime seat
    3 inch handle bar risers
    bg comfort grips
    lidl seat pack
    diamond back pedals
    2009 reba sl's
    more to come......
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    What frame is it??

I would personally leave approx 20mm either side of the tyre till the swingarm / rear stays.
    20mm? That's nearly an inch, EACH side?
  • aaronmroach
    aaronmroach Posts: 341
    I like the mud clearance in the winter, I did say personally and approx!!!!!!!!!

And its more like 3/4 of an inch either side!!!! With an inch being 25.4mm!!!!! :lol:

Or have you got a special ruler that mocks peoples personal opinions for internet fun?? :oops:

Ive just been to measure my clearance and its 17.5mm (with my vernier calipers) so I may have over estimated a little!!! Thats a 2.0 Jones on a 2010 Remedy 8........
  • GPierotti
    GPierotti Posts: 104
    It is still NEARLY an inch which is a bit unecessary, i usually make sure that no matter how anything moves it wont foul any part of the frame and then take a wee bit into consideration incase the wheel ends up less true than when i started so if anything goes wrong i can still get to the bottom easy enough.
  • cloudynights
    cloudynights Posts: 351
    3/4 of a inch to be closer :lol:
    anthem x with many upgrades
  • Rybes
    thanks for all ya advice. now jus gotta wait for the bike to get here and ill see what i can shkweeze in there 8)
    2004 cinder cone, grey
    madison prime seat
    3 inch handle bar risers
    bg comfort grips
    lidl seat pack
    diamond back pedals
    2009 reba sl's
    more to come......
  • Rybes
    evenin. well me bikes turned up and i been outside with a ruler measurin gaps. i got 70 mm between the frame and about 10mm gap each side with a 1.95 tioga terra firma on it. what ya reckon i could get in there ? im thinkin maybe 2.1 inch. wheel will take a 2.3 so im good there.
    cheers all 8)
    2004 cinder cone, grey
    madison prime seat
    3 inch handle bar risers
    bg comfort grips
    lidl seat pack
    diamond back pedals
    2009 reba sl's
    more to come......
  • Anonymous
    It's kind of hard to tell since each tyre manufacturer measures differently.

But if you've got over 3/4" clearance there with a 1.95 tyre, then you should be fine to run almost anything up to, oooooo, roughly 2.4"-ish (and quite possibly bigger, depending on the tyre.

Why do you want to know anyway? Fitting the largest possible tyre you can is rarely a good idea, since it'll make it much more effort to get the bike up to speed.
  • Rybes
    reason i wanna run a larger tyre is i just got a new set of forks thatll take a 2.4 tyre. seems to be a waste with just a 1.95 in there. :lol:
    2004 cinder cone, grey
    madison prime seat
    3 inch handle bar risers
    bg comfort grips
    lidl seat pack
    diamond back pedals
    2009 reba sl's
    more to come......
  • Anonymous
    Rybes wrote:
    reason i wanna run a larger tyre is i just got a new set of forks thatll take a 2.4 tyre. seems to be a waste with just a 1.95 in there. :lol:
    That's a ludicrous reason.
  • Rybes
    edited June 2011
    im a ludicrous person yeehaa. not many people understand me :lol:
    2004 cinder cone, grey
    madison prime seat
    3 inch handle bar risers
    bg comfort grips
    lidl seat pack
    diamond back pedals
    2009 reba sl's
    more to come......
  • timpop
    timpop Posts: 394
    I don't think it'll be beneficial to have massive tires on that bike, 2.1 or 2.2 max. Have a look at the panaracer cedric gracia xc 2.1, they're a sweet ride, I'll always push them.
    Many happy trails!
  • Rybes
    cheers tim. i didnt think id get very wide tyre on due to the clearance. thanks for the idea of tyre choice, as i cant get a very wide tyre in there its made all the tyres i was lookin at unavailible to me as their too wide. as soon as these ones need changin ill try those ones. cheers mate :D
    2004 cinder cone, grey
    madison prime seat
    3 inch handle bar risers
    bg comfort grips
    lidl seat pack
    diamond back pedals
    2009 reba sl's
    more to come......
  • captainfly
    captainfly Posts: 1,001
    SSo long as it doesn't rub it's fine :wink: It really depends where and what you are riding though in slicky mud then you want as much clearance as tou can get without going too skinny and for dry free riding then wide high volume tyre are good.
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

Why are MTB economics; spend twice as much as you intended, but only half as much as you wish you could afford? :roll:
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Rybes wrote:
    That's a ludicrous reason.

Agreed. Fit something that's good for your riding.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."