Found: Pannier - Queen Victoria Street

dhope
dhope Posts: 6,699
edited June 2011 in Commuting chat
Picked up at 9am this morning, Queen Victoria Street.
If you lost one let me know the make and what was in it and can arrange to return it.

Cheers
Rose Xeon CW Disc
CAAD12 Disc
Condor Tempo

Comments

• mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    how could you not notice a pannier falling off your bike?!
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    mudcow007 wrote:

Exactly! I suppose with London traffic noise all around you, it's possible to not notice immediately but I would have thought that you would feel the weighting of the bike change pretty soon! That's the thing that put me off panniers completely and I never use them, the weighting and feel of the bike is all off, especially going round corners....
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • dhope
    Surprised me too. Picked it up, looked about, no cyclists nearby and nobody looking oddly at me for taking it. Asked the policeman on QVS whether it'd make more sense to hand it over or post on a couple of bike forums. He said post :roll: :)
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    dhope wrote:
    Surprised me too. Picked it up, looked about, no cyclists nearby and nobody looking oddly at me for taking it. Asked the policeman on QVS whether it'd make more sense to hand it over or post on a couple of bike forums. He said post :roll: :)

Lazy copper. Less paperwork for him.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    copper was being lazy I reckon duncs.

I'd still pop it into a police station as then you're absolved of responsibility, as frankly the kind of clown that wouldn't notice that coming off his bike wont be on the net talking about bikes

unless... is it ticking?
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • dhope
    Yeah, could always hand it over at lunchtime if no response on here or LFGSS.

It was next to work, who could possibly want to bomb an investment bank?!
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Out of curiosity what's in it?
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • dhope
    Not much and nothing interesting (wont say exactly what yet incase someone tries to blag it)
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Phil_D
    Phil_D Posts: 467
    I once went out with the Mrs on a tandem and didn't notice she'd fallen off until I got home.

OK it never happened, but we can all dream can't we?
  • sketchley
    Someone could have stop to fix a puncture and simply forgot to put it back on the bike.
    --
    Chris

• EKE_38BPM
    Sketchley wrote:
    Someone could have stop to fix a puncture and simply forgot to put it back on the bike.
    ...and went back five minutes later to retrieve it. When they couldn't find it they went to the copper who is now circulating DHope's description for an APB and a BOLO.

• dhope
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Sketchley wrote:
    ...and went back five minutes later to retrieve it. When they couldn't find it they went to the copper who is now circulating DHope's description for an APB and a BOLO.

What-evs. I'll return it at lunch, just can't remember if the wad of £50s came from the pannier or my rucksack. I think it was my rucksack.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • EKE_38BPM
    dhope wrote:
    ... just can't remember if the wad of £50s came from the pannier or my rucksack. I think it was my rucksack.

Typical banker! Why don't you do something useful like sponsor libraries to keep them open, eh, eh?

• sketchley
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    dhope wrote:
    ... just can't remember if the wad of £50s came from the pannier or my rucksack. I think it was my rucksack.

Typical banker! Why don't you do something useful like sponsor libraries to keep them open, eh, eh?

Off Topic Question. Why do people get so precious about libraries? Are they still necessary now we have the internet? Surely it would be cheaper and more accessible for central government to provide one huge digital library for everyone to access? Plus it would be indexed and searchable too!
    --
    Chris

• dhope
    Sketchley wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    dhope wrote:

Off Topic Question. Why do people get so precious about libraries? Are they still necessary now we have the internet? Surely it would be cheaper and more accessible for central government to provide one huge digital library for everyone to access? Plus it would be indexed and searchable too!

@EKE sadly only IT at a bank, I'm too competent to look after peoples' money.

@Sketchley I still like the idea of free books, despite tinternet. Better to let someone take a book away to read at their leisure than have them parked in front of a screen.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Headhuunter
    dhope wrote:
    Sketchley wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    dhope wrote:

@Sketchley I still like the idea of free books, despite tinternet. Better to let someone take a book away to read at their leisure than have them parked in front of a screen.

That's the issue isn't it. Everyone "likes the idea" of having access to free books but in reality barely any of us actually uses libraries. I think I have been to a library may be 3 times in the past 10 years, one time was to use the photocopier and the other 2 times were to look at back copies of Which? magazine... So in this era of austerity is it worth spending money on them or would that money be better used, say, patching potholes on your commute route?

Really, I suppose, what councils should be doing is trying to think of alternative uses for libraries, so not only should they represent a book repository, but perhaps also places which offer computer lessons/access to a largeish number of computers, or perhaps divide libraries down into smaller rooms which can be leased out to businesses for conferences or to local social groups to put on slide shows or whatever....
  • Clever Pun
    students use libraries, as do the older generation... Greg66 will have picked up most of his Mills & Boon books there
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • Flyingbogey
    Flyingbogey Posts: 352
    I use mine regularly, Jr loves it and i'm keeping it going with all my late return charges too. Think of it as a search engine you can go and walk around in
    Bianchi Nirone C2C FCN4
  • Headhuunter
    Clever Pun wrote:
    students use libraries, as do the older generation... Greg66 will have picked up most of his Mills & Boon books there

Yeah but students usually have access to a school/college or uni library. When I was a student I spent time, sometimes on a daily basis, at those libraries, but never at the local council run one. Yes, certainly the older generation use them. Personally I think they should be kept open, but I think that other uses should be explored to make them more cost effective...
  • mudcow007 wrote:

thsi also happened to me once, it had my daughter's birth certificate in it. I noticed but not for a good few hundred yards......
  • EKE_38BPM
    dhope wrote:
    Sketchley wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    dhope wrote:

I know, I'm only yanking your chain.

I use my local library regularly. I read quite a lot and if I bought all of the books I read, I'd be skint (well, even more skint) and I wouldn't be able to move for books.
    My parents have both retired and have started reading recently, my Mum read her first book since she was at school!
    Every time I go to the library I pick them up something to read. As they don't really know what they want to read I can pickup a selection and if they read it, good, if not, big deal.

Having one lib at the end of the road, another a 15 minute walk away and two more within a 15 minute ride is a bit of overkill in my opinion, so I can see at least one of them closing soon. Also, about a 15 minute ride away, but in another borough, is a brand new lib.

My local lib is always busy, but their IT is rubbish, maybe if DHope wants a change of pace he could sort out Barnet Libraries IT infrastructure. It falls over more than me on an ice rink!

• alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Public libraries are often where those who are less fortunate access the internet.

Digital collections and online access to them has costs as well.
  • Clever Pun
    alfablue wrote:
    Public libraries are often where those who are less fortunate access the internet.

Digital collections and online access to them has costs as well.

good point I'd forgotten that
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • dhope
    Pannier is now with local plod. The one at lunchtime was happy to take the pannier but didn't have a pen to write anything down.
    If anyone wants to jump the lights on Queen Victoria Street, now's your chance ;)
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo