27ers

col80
col80 Posts: 2
edited June 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
hi , looking to do a road race (64 miles) on my MTB (2009 trek 8000 series) I have got road tyres on at the min but I'm looking to go a little faster, I was wondering if I could fit 27ers on to give it that little bit extra pace ..... or If you've got any better suggestions

thanks
Col

Comments

• RevellRider
    RevellRider Posts: 1,794
    A 700c wheel with a 23 or 25mm tyre will fit on no problem, plenty of places should be able to supply you with wheel that take disc brakes. The only problem you might find is that you'll be a little under geared.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Personally I'd suggest putting 26x1" tyres on your wheels (I have some Conti's - don't use them any more as they were too harsh for commuting) and fit a bigger top chainwheel. If your into getting new wheels you may as well buy a cheap road bike for the cost!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Are you actually doing a road race, or merely a road event? If the former then don't spend too much money, unless you're a very strong rider you won't be able to keep up. Everything is wrong on an MTB; geometry, weight, gearing, air/rolling resistance etc. You'll be massively handicapped.

700c wheels will make relatively little difference, I agree that some 26x1.0 tyres would be the way to go, or just pick up a 2nd hand road bike.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Are you actually doing a road race, or merely a road event? If the former then don't spend too much money, unless you're a very strong rider you won't be able to keep up. Everything is wrong on an MTB; geometry, weight, gearing, air/rolling resistance etc. You'll be massively handicapped.

700c wheels will make relatively little difference, I agree that some 26x1.0 tyres would be the way to go, or just pick up a 2nd hand road bike.
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    Get on ebay and buy a 2nd hand road bike, will probably be cheaper than a new set of wheels.

My commute is 23 miles, it takes over 15 min's longer on my hardtail (with slicks) than it does on my road bike.
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets