clunk from shock/frame

gtd.
gtd. Posts: 626
edited June 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
I keep getting a clunk from some part of the suspension I guess.

Checked the shock mounts and there is no noticeable play.

The easiest way to get the bike to make the noise is to ride straight up a curb at 5mph+

down is fine its just when the back wheel goes over a bump it clunks

Tried different wheels its getting annoying now

Any ideas?

Its my Orange Patriot, using a Rock Shock Monarch 3.3

Thanks
Mountain: Orange Patriot FR, SubZero & Evo2LE.
Road: Tifosi Race Custom.
Do it all bike: Surly Disc Trucker 700c/29er

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Lift the rear of the bike off the ground gently. Does it clunk? Often worn shock bushings. Check that area.
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    These things can be the hardest to diagnose. I'd take the shock out and inspect it for play / damage. As Supersonic says it's most likely the bushings. Also check all pivots bolts and bearings.

I had a knocking with the Fox Van RC on my SX Trail... got the bushing replaced and it was still there. Turned out to be play between the piston rod and the shock body. A TF Tuned service fixed it though. Not sure if this would be a problem on a Monarch though, since it's an air shock with a much bigger diameter piston rod.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • jamojaw
    jamojaw Posts: 89
    Is the shock air. If so, let the air out of it so you can cycle it through the complete arc of movement. Might give you a better idea of where if at all the problem is