Buying a Boardman

joelsim
joelsim Posts: 7,552
edited June 2011 in Commuting general
My company has just signed up to the Halfords C2W scheme, and so I'm going to get a 2011 Hybrid Pro.

Can anyone suggest some mudguards, a pannier/bag and puncture-resistant tyres please.

My commute is 18 miles each way and I've only done it 3 times so far this year (10 miles each way last year was cool at my old house and I did that about 30 times between August and November). Planning to do 2-3 per week from Cobham to Fulham.

Also, shoes and pedals?

Cheers

Comments

• EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Shoes: Ones that are comfortable. No fun wearing shoes that feel horrible!
    Pedals: I'd go for Shimano M324. Dual sided, SPD on one side, decent metal flats on the other.
    Tyres: I really rate Continental Gator Skins (or Ultra Gator Skins as they are now called). Just keep them pumped up properly (~110 psi for me)
    No idea for mudguards and the other stuff though.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    With a 36 mile round trip I would give serious thought to a drop-bar bike instead. The extra hand position option of drops, together with the ability to ride more tucked-in against the wind, will prove a huge relief over time.

Pedals: most of us here are huge fans of Shimano M520s for commuting (you get used to clipping in and out really quickly) as they are cheap, light and efficient. They are also suitable for shoes that recess the cleat thus making it possible to walk fairly comfortably in your commuting shoes.

Shoes: for me it's just cheapy Specialized SPD commuter/MTB shoes. They're comfortable and do the job nicely. A stiff, fully carbon soled shoe with air vents is perfectly good for long, competitive rides at speed, but on the commute is just a pain.

Tyres: I'm with Eke. Gatorskins all the way. Many here are fans of Schwalbe Marathon Plusses, but I'm not convinced they offer greater protection than Gatorskins and they are supposedly a bi-atch to put on. I think 700x25 gives way more comfort over 23s too, yet won't hinder your speed.

Mudguards: SKS come highly regarded, but I did spot some cool looking things in Condor a couple of weeks back.

No idea on panniers I'm afraid.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Shoes - MTB SPD, easier to clip/unclip than road biased SPD SL and you can walk on them, my Spesh Tahoe fit like a glove, I use M520's as they can be had cheap (ebay for between £15 and £20 usually from a large outlet) and are super reliable

Tyres - Schwalbe Marathon pluses for bomb proof puncture resistance, conti gatorskin for a slightly lower levelof protection but much sportier feel and weight!

Pannier - I have a cheap cast off from the outlaws, it works so sorted, I use a Madison alloy rack (disc specific) and its cheap, light enough and no issues so far.

Mudguards - SKS have a good rep, but I use a home selected hotchpotch because they work!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • garrynolan
    garrynolan Posts: 560
    Had a Boardman Team Hybrid and couldn't fault it (until it got nicked!). Use(d) M520's with Shimano M086 shoes (a bit bling but others are more sober) so I could walk around normally. I have Crud mudguards on my current bike - very light, reliable and easy to fit. +1 for the Gatorskins - I have 25's on the front and 28's on the back. I do adventure racing (www.gaelforcewest.ie - should know better at my age) and have had no problems at all. Found them so good didn't bother putting the 23's back on. I have to carry what I need during races so always use a backpack so can't offer advice on panniers/bags. Good luck.
    Visit Ireland - all of it! Cycle in Dublin and know fear!!
    exercise.png
  • joelsim
    Thanks very much for all your replies. I will look into the drop bars and shoes and tyres. As far as teh wheels go, the Boardman Hybrid is a 700x28, wouldn't I need to get 700x28 replacement tyres.

Newbie alert...
  • garrynolan
    garrynolan Posts: 560
    You might get 700x25's on the bike. Also, if they aren't there, get bar ends to give you more hand positions if you don't fancy drop bars.
    Visit Ireland - all of it! Cycle in Dublin and know fear!!
    exercise.png
  • joelsim
    Do you think the Continentals are better than the Marathon Plus?

What is the difference between fold or wire versions, and what about the hardcase?

I really really don't want to get punctures so I'm willing to trade a little roll for this.
  • joelsim
    If I got a hybrid then surely I could get some of those bars to rest on to make myself more streamlined, like they use in t'Olympics?
  • richVSrich
    richVSrich Posts: 527
    Joelsim wrote:
    If I got a hybrid then surely I could get some of those bars to rest on to make myself more streamlined, like they use in t'Olympics?

why dont you just but a road bike then? aero bars on TT bikes only surely?

i have a boardman hybrid, which is a great all weather commuter (disc brakes, nice gears/shifters)

..however i would like a weekend / summer bike too...
  • joelsim
    Having sat on a few bikes recently, I really liked the Hybrid Boardman. Maybe a road bike is for a couple of years down the line. I think you have made up my mind.
  • cyberknight
    cyberknight Posts: 1,238
    To late as you want the flat bar as i was going to say go road bike but if you do like the flat bar make sure you get some bar ends to give you extra hand positions, it will make the journey a lot more comfortable if you are not gripping in the same position all the time .

Gasp !! consider a rack +panniers to carry your stuff, you can carry more things comfortably and heavan forbid if you have a mechaincal/punture you can carry some tubes+ a few tools that might get you going again.
    FCN 3/5/9
  • nation
    nation Posts: 609
    Joelsim wrote:

Just a quick aside, but if you do this, when you're in the "tuck" position you have no way of reaching your brakes in a hurry. I don't know if you were serious or not, but be very, very careful using aero bars on the road.
  • joelsim
    Yes, you're right. I may get the road bike instead

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/images/ ... on_eek.gif
  • I use a Boardman Hybrid pro - great bike!

Tryes - mine came with Continental Ultra's. Puncture resistance not bad - but they wore fairly quickly. I may try some of the gator skins next.

I think your newer model Boardman will have fittings for mudguards front and rear - get halfords to fit their recomended "SCR" mudguards if you want them.

I just got one of their bike hut racks that they fitted very badly!

Check everything is tight!

I have used an Ortileb office bag/pannier for 12 years - can cary everything from change of clothing, laptop and probably the kitchen sink if necessary. Clips on any rack (that I've owned) and is completely water proof. When I say completely water proof I mean absolutely bone dry - always.

I believe tourers swear by them and it's certainly the best bit of cycling kit I've ever bought.

You can read about my boardman experience here - http://www.top-beer.co.uk/post/2011/03/ ... hs-on.aspx and here - http://www.top-beer.co.uk/post/2011/02/ ... uired.aspx

I have also changed to clipless - much faster. Make sure you get some shoes you can walk in too! The first pair I bought were great on the bike but when I got to work I sounded like a horse and looked like an idiot walking in! I had to buy a second pair as I walk the kids to school (with my bike) some morings.

I used Shimano M520 Clipless SPD Pedals - £22.99 and now Shimano MT22 MTB SPD Shoes - £39.99 (Which you can walk in). Both from Chain Reaction Cycles.

Changing the pedals was a mare as Halfords had obviously put no grease on the threads - read about it here - http://www.top-beer.co.uk/post/2011/05/ ... k-now.aspx - so if your not mechanical - consider buying with the bike as Halfords will fit accessories for free.

18 miles is long way mind you - you might listen to some of the guys here talking about a road bike. Personally I don't ride one as I've always worried about it's effect on my bad back and because I prefer a more upright position through traffic, but I think for 18 miles I might want more speed.

If your C2W is Halfords - here's a blog from a guy who uses one of their viruosos.

http://www.rainmiles.com/archives/carrera-virtuoso.html
  • cyberknight
    cyberknight Posts: 1,238
    Looked at the virtuoso blog, pity he cant tell the difference between shimano 2300 and tiagra DOH !! and they are 16 speed rather than 18 ...

Blaming the fact he needed to flip the stem because the steerer is to short? they are fairly standard he just need a more upright position :lol:
    FCN 3/5/9
  • joelsim
    Cheers guys.

I went into a Halfords today and I knew more than the shop assistant which isn't great. Frien dly enough, but useless.

Anyway I tried a road bike and I'm not keen, so for definite it will be a Hybrid Pro. To this I will get some Schwalbe M+ or Conti Ultra Gatorskins.

I will also look at pedals in due course along with a few other things, but I think I will use my LBS for everything, to be honest I'd rather have used my LBS for the bike too but it's not to be.

I'll read your threads now Stuart.
  • joelsim
    I've reserved the Hybrid Pro. £100 off too.

Can't wait to pick it up.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    Joelsim wrote:
    Thanks very much for all your replies. I will look into the drop bars and shoes and tyres. As far as teh wheels go, the Boardman Hybrid is a 700x28, wouldn't I need to get 700x28 replacement tyres.

Newbie alert...

Nope - 700C refers to the diameter of the rim, x23, x25, x28, x30, x32 etc refers to the width of the tyre. If you go smaller it will definitely fit, bigger may be a problem.

For example a full on time trial bike will only have clearance for x23 tyres as they re designed for 20-30mins of abject pain at max speed, a more comfortable bike will have more space for wider tyres that offer a bit more comfort at the expense of a bit more rolling resistance (though not enough for us mortals to notice tbh)

So a 700c x 23 tyre will fit fine, 700c x 32 may be a bit close to the frame, so you might not be able to fit mudguards, 26in x 2.1 is a MTB tyre and won't fit because the rim is smaller and the tyre wider, 28in x 32c will not fit because they re designed for a wider rim (this size is nt so common in the UK but is common on "Dutch bikes")

Hope that helps...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • joelsim
    Thanks for the info, very useful.