Alpes and Cols

2»

Comments

• apriliarider
    apriliarider Posts: 222
    The route from Bourg D'Oisan up to Les Deux Alpes past the Lac du Chambon dam is beautiful and has some good cafe stops along the route and at the top.

Great descent down the other way through Bons
  • The route from Bourg D'Oisan up to Les Deux Alpes past the Lac du Chambon dam is beautiful and has some good cafe stops along the route and at the top.

Great descent down the other way through Bons

Hmm, that does look tempting, 22km from our campsite to the top, could be an early morning tester....
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    Chaps.

We are staying in Venosc and will be watching the alpe stage and the TT in Grenoble.

Apart from the Alpe, Galibier, Telegraphe, what other do you recommend looking at.

Am tempted with Sestriere but not sure what it's like as a climb.

Did Ventoux in 2009 and that was a brutal climb but las mentioned previously there was a great sense of achievement when you get to the top.

if your staying in Venosc, then you really should do the climb up to La Berarde. Nice and quiet as it's not a main road and there's a cafe at the top!

3250381075_9fe48848c4_o.jpg
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    deejay wrote:
    Nobody ridden the Col de Restefond as it was known in my day 9,193 feet.
    They call it the Bonnet now and it's shorter and lower because they made the "Cut Off"
    The Col de l'Iseran 9,088 feet, heading to (the free wheel into) Bourg St Maurice and then the "Tiddly" ride up the Cormet de Roselend @ 6453 feet. The one that Bruyneel went off road into a ravine and was saved by a bush. ! - (what a shame)

Col de la Madeleine @ 6539 feet always seems higher than it is

The Tour went over the Bonette in 08 I think it was, they still did the high bit, it's where John Lee Augustyn led and then went over the edge and down the shale slope. I'm happy to be shot down but I think the cut off was there first, and then they made the bit around the top so they could claim Europe's highest road pass. I remember Ned Boulting did a piece about climbing it in March/April that year with an Italian motorbike rider that worked various races. They were stopped some way from the top by the a French army person, as there was a military training exercise going on. Boulting looked pleased, he'd been flat out for sometime.
  • Chaps.

We are staying in Venosc and will be watching the alpe stage and the TT in Grenoble.

Apart from the Alpe, Galibier, Telegraphe, what other do you recommend looking at.

Did Ventoux in 2009 and that was a brutal climb but las mentioned previously there was a great sense of achievement when you get to the top.

if your staying in Venosc, then you really should do the climb up to La Berarde. Nice and quiet as it's not a main road and there's a cafe at the top!

If the link below is correct that looks a cracking climb, very challenging without being over the top.

http://www.zanibike.net/altimetria/107/ ... piers.aspx
  • guinea
    guinea Posts: 1,177
    Chaps.

If the link below is correct that looks a cracking climb, very challenging without being over the top.

Really nice road. I only made it as far as the church though as the road was closed. The detour required hiking boots, not cycling shoes. It was a long fall down.
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962

Yes, that profile looks about right. There are two hard sections with false flats between. The photo is from a flat section near the top, past St Christophe en Osions.
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    I have cycled La Berarde to the le champ restuarant at the top and had some pasta. Fantastic day out as I went up les deux alpes that day as well. That was about 6 years ago and was wondering if anybody knows if the restuarant is still open as I am heading back to that area to do the marmotte and may take a run up there.

Just to keep on track with the thread I have done the Alpe and while its not as hard as some continental climbs I have done its a real climb and tough at the start but eases up a bit about 1/3 of the way up.
    Brian B.
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,941
    If you're near the Alps, try the road to Villard de Notre Dame. It's the opposite side of the valley to Alps D'Huez and is a fantastic ride. You get to go through some pretty mental tunnels. The distance/gradient is near identical so it's a really good challenge but the scenary is nicer (imo) as it's so much less popular.

http://www.steephill.tv/2006/villard-notre-dame/
  • BikingBernie
    BikingBernie Posts: 2,163
    edited June 2011
    Of all the Alpine climbs I've done though reckon the Joux Plane is the best. Great views, varied (and steep) gradients and was only passed by two or three cars for the whole climb (and one pro cyclist - riding for Caisse d'Epargne. Amusingly I was wearing my Caisse d'Epargne top at the time!)
    I'm just back from a loop that took in the Joux Plane from the Samoens side. :wink:

No matter how fresh I feel half way up, I somehow always find the last few km to be a grovel. On the other side of the D902 the Col de la Ramaz is also good, but is now less spectacular than it was as they recently opened a tunnel that bypasses the last km, which used to run alongside a waterfall.

For my money many of the big cols aren't as good for cycling as some of the smaller, lesser known ones. For example, the whole area behind Thonon les Bains is filled with climbs topping out at 1100-1200m. String a few of these together an you can log lots of vertical on beautiful quiet roads that serve only the odd village. The Col de Cou and Col de Saxel are lovely, and another of my favourites is the road that runs up to the Plaines Joux cross-country ski domain from Villard.
  • BikingBernie
    edited June 2011
    phreak wrote:
    If you're near the Alps, try the road to Villard de Notre Dame. It's the opposite side of the valley to Alps D'Huez and is a fantastic ride. You get to go through some pretty mental tunnels. The distance/gradient is near identical so it's a really good challenge but the scenary is nicer (imo) as it's so much less popular.

http://www.steephill.tv/2006/villard-notre-dame/
    If you ever ride up to Villard Notre Dame (there is no 'de' in the name by the way) pause by the war memorial in the village. The number of names, most from the same couple of families, that are recorded there is very moving, especially given the tiny size of the place. The current population is 41 and it was probably even smaller 100 years ago.
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,941
    Ah, beg your pardon. We stopped at that memorial and had a coffee at the cafe at the top before heading down again. Cracking view and the tunnels are something else.
  • heavymental
    heavymental Posts: 2,079
    Yes love that ride too up to Villard Notre Dame. Worth taking a light for those tunnels! You can also head over the rough track at the top and down the other side. Its a bit cyclocross but worth picking your way for a K or 2.
  • Yes love that ride too up to Villard Notre Dame. Worth taking a light for those tunnels! You can also head over the rough track at the top and down the other side. Its a bit cyclocross but worth picking your way for a K or 2.

Looks damn fine but i think it's a climb too far for me at the moment.
  • BikingBernie
    phreak wrote:
    Ah, beg your pardon. We stopped at that memorial and had a coffee at the cafe at the top before heading down again. Cracking view and the tunnels are something else.
    Hi there. I wasn’t having a go at you; the name seems to be recorded incorrectly all over the place. :wink:

With regards French war memorials, the following site is very interesting. Every village in France (and there are a LOT of villages in France!) seems to have one. All I have seen are still kept in excellent order and are the focus of local memorial events a couple of times a year. Viewing this site also gives some insight into the effect the carnage of World War One had on the national psyche of the French, and that carnage is something that is far from forgotten today.

http://www.memorial-genweb.org/~memorial2/

Here is a photo of one I regularly ride past which is located in a small village. Just look at all the names on the cross!

74-2129.jpg
  • Just read this on the CN website

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/police- ... ance-recon

Do you really need lights to ride the Galibier?

I'm planning doing this in July and wouldn't have taken lights with me, now i'm thinking otherwise....
  • Cumulonimbus
    Cumulonimbus Posts: 1,730
    Just read this on the CN website

I'm planning doing this in July and wouldn't have taken lights with me, now i'm thinking otherwise....

I believe that the tunnels concerned are between Bourg d'oisans and the col du lauteret, ie not the Telegraphe side if that helps. I think you would be pretty unlucky to be stopped.

Went through a few of these tunnels last summer and i was certainly happy that i had my back light on. I always have at least my back light on my bike anyway, comes in handy sometimes when you come back later in the evening, hit some fog, etc, and keeping it on is a lot easier than taking it on and off. Doesnt weigh much.
  • Just read this on the CN website

I believe that the tunnels concerned are between Bourg d'oisans and the col du lauteret, ie not the Telegraphe side if that helps. I think you would be pretty unlucky to be stopped.

Went through a few of these tunnels last summer and i was certainly happy that i had my back light on. I always have at least my back light on my bike anyway, comes in handy sometimes when you come back later in the evening, hit some fog, etc, and keeping it on is a lot easier than taking it on and off. Doesnt weigh much.

Thanks for the advice, will pack it in case.
  • term1te
    term1te Posts: 1,462

I've ridden through those tunnels a couple of times, both without lights. Just remember to remove your sunglasses and watch out for coaches which seem to slow down unexpectedly. Going down hill you'll probably be travelling at a similar speed to the trafic, if I was heading upwards I'd consider lights more seriously.

I'll be in the area in early August and am already trying to find ways to justify more days on the bike during the "family holiday"
  • Term1te wrote:

I've ridden through those tunnels a couple of times, both without lights. Just remember to remove your sunglasses and watch out for coaches which seem to slow down unexpectedly. Going down hill you'll probably be travelling at a similar speed to the trafic, if I was heading upwards I'd consider lights more seriously.

I'll be in the area in early August and am already trying to find ways to justify more days on the bike during the "family holiday"

I hear you, i'm having to balance our holiday with days out here and there so it looks like alternate days on the bike for 2 weeks.
  • airwise
    airwise Posts: 248
    Chaps.

The Col at Sestriere is a fairly mundane climb. Depending on fitness levels, a great ride is to park in Sestriere and descend via Oulx to Susa then climb the Colle della Finestre from Susa. That's my favourite climb in Europe. Once over the Colle, you have one of the best descents around down to the valley then a gradual climb back up to Sestriere for tea and tiffen.

If staying around Bourg, other climbs to do include the Col de Solude to Villard Notre Dame ( as mentioned before) and the Col de Sabot that goes up to 2000m via Vaugeny. A pic from the descent of the Sabot last year

IMG_0134.jpg
  • BikingBernie

That report says that Contador was stopped from descending whilst accompanied by his team car. I would think the real issue the police has was having Contador practicing his descending at race speed, closely followed by his team car travelling at a similar rate of knots on a public road open to other traffic!