Anyone Surf? Need some advice for a beginner

king_jeffers
king_jeffers Posts: 694
edited June 2011 in Commuting chat
Hi all, so I spent about a year banging on and on to the Mrs about how much I would like to give surfing a go. So for my birthday (last year!) I got 2x lessons however I've been putting it off for almost 12 months now and they are about to expire. Reason being I'm only 5 ft 7 and weigh about 14 stone - I don't look like a massive obese guy, more stocky than anything else, but I really don't want to look like an over stuffed sausage when I don a wet suit... So my question! I'm I worrying about nothing, is the wet suit not that bad OR should I lose a bit more weight first? Also what do you wear under a wet suit? I was reading nothing but then I'm thinking the suit is rented... second thought I might buy one.... :?

Comments

• jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    Almost anyone looks like an overstuffed sausage in a wet suit so don't worry about it...

Own wetsuit, don't wear anything under.

Rented, swimming shorts/trunks & if you like a rash vest.

If you enjoy it try these guys
    http://www.surfschoolanzarote.com/
    a week course with warm water & consistent surf. Awesome.
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • essex-commuter
    essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
    I'm sure you will look fine but hey, don't worry about it, life's too short. Go and enjoy yourself!
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    I wouldn't do it. If you aren't a perfect slim tanned Adonis the surf instructor crew (probably Aussies too) will be unable to teach you anything due to laughing their socks off at your resmblance to an over-stuffed sausage. Or they may well have seen every size permutation known to man and not even notice.

We took our boys surfing at Easter. Loved every minute of it they did, from a standing start to riding the waves in one lesson. If they can do it I'm pretty sure a cyclist can. Go to it.
  • jangle
    jangle Posts: 114
    It doesn't matter what you look like, just get on and do it. You'll be so busy trying to stand up that you will forget about what you look like anyway! Putting it off will just mean that you wil just kick yourself harder for not doing it sooner..

I wear swimmers and a rash vest underneath as some wetsuits can rub a bit, especially round the neck. I also would wait to see if you like it before buying a suit but it is obviously up to you..

Go and have fun!
  • piquet
    piquet Posts: 83
    Hi all, so I spent about a year banging on and on to the Mrs about how much I would like to give surfing a go. So for my birthday (last year!) I got 2x lessons however I've been putting it off for almost 12 months now and they are about to expire. Reason being I'm only 5 ft 7 and weigh about 14 stone - I don't look like a massive obese guy, more stocky than anything else, but I really don't want to look like an over stuffed sausage when I don a wet suit... So my question! I'm I worrying about nothing, is the wet suit not that bad OR should I lose a bit more weight first? Also what do you wear under a wet suit? I was reading nothing but then I'm thinking the suit is rented... second thought I might buy one.... :?

You will look fine - wet suit acts like a corset and pulls everything in!

You will be changing on the beach - wear swimmies

Rash vest - a sort of technical t-shirt with a high neck - much more comfortable.

Has any one ever seen a surfer leave the water and go to the loo for a pee? Yes rented wet suits are baaaad!
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Many cyclists I see out and about look like overstuffed sausages in their lycra.... Just get on with it!
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • Rooner
    Rooner Posts: 109
    Don't worry, you'll look fine. Don't forget that 'proper' surfers have big shoulders and normally little legs, need the big shoulders to power out back (amazes me why surf clothing is always cut slim, when if you are a surfer you'll never get into it?).

Definetly need a rash vast, not only to stop rubbing, but for added warmth, the UK seas are always pretty chilly and it will allow you to stay in longer, more comfortably, look to buy a winter one, its unlikely to ever get too warm. And wear swimwear, I've got some mega nasty speedo short things that are like the tightest lycra boxers, horrible on the own, perfect for under a wetsiut.

Don't forget to warm up properly, you'll get thrown around a fair bit. Don't go straight out back, practice on the white water first. If you are falling off, throw yourself clear if your board has hard skegs. Think about bodyboarding for a while to get used to how the wave picks up.

most importantly......OBEY THE DROP-IN RULE!!!! I can't stress this enough, if someone is on a wave already, get out of the way. If not, its a sure fire way to p people off very quickly.

actually, more importantly, enjoy and have fun! Its great, a wonderful feeling, and don't take it too seriously. And don't sing red hot chilli pepper songs in your head, thats way uncool!
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    Ive got a "shorty" wetsuit that was only about £60 an keeps me warm in the summer

my Mrs says i look like a seal when I'm wearing it though.

just get out there an enjoy your self
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • motopatter
    motopatter Posts: 179
    hang ten, duuuuuuuuuuuude 8)
    wave your willy here !!!! :)