Down The Road/Alister Mac - anyone know him?

styxd
styxd Posts: 3,234
I sent Alister a payment for some bars a couple of weeks ago, he told me he'd posted them but they havent turned up. I've emailed and pm'd him a few times since but Ive heard nothing. Does anyone on here know him? Is he ok?

Comments

• markshaw77
    markshaw77 Posts: 437
    Sorry to say, but I have the same issue - paid for some Q rings, but they haven't shown up and he is now not responding to email or PM

He is definitely reading the PMs and is still posting on the forum so is clearly trying to avoid the issue

Let me know if you get anywhere...
  • styxd
    Will do, never been "done over" before, hopefully this wont be the first time. Dunno, he has plenty of posts, long time member etc. etc.

Wonder whats up
  • styxd
    I thought perhaps my item could have been lost in the post since he claimed he posted them 2 weeks ago, coincidence yours havent arrived either.
  • markshaw77
    hmmm...not sure on the 'coincidence'

Looks like he is the Owner of Birmingham City Cycles - it is linked in his profile and confirmed here:

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/alister-macdonald/10/348/296
    https://www.facebook.com/people/Alister-MacDonald/786717227

Like you, I took that and the high post count, long time member,etc as good signs

That said, something is up - their website is now diverting straight to the hosting company which is not a good sign and found another couple of references on message boards from April with things that were late or didn't turn up. Suggest there may be some problems...might post something up and see if anyone knows anything about them

Will give it another couple of days, but looks like we've been done
  • styxd
    Cracking stuff. Whats the best way to go about claiming money back? Small calims court?
  • madness
    madness Posts: 61
    He has refunded the £50 after I asked for him to prove he was genuine by refunding the money (he hasn't sent it yet).

SO AT THE VERY LEAST HE ISN'T A DESPERATE SCAMMER.
  • markshaw77
    Still no response from Alister to my emails regarding my issues and it is now obvious that he is posting under different usernames, so I have reported it to the mods and will be taking further action tomorrow

I now understand from other sites (here that his business has ceased trading which is desperately unfortunate and I do feel for him, but that is no excuse for his behaviour in these sales

I'm really sad that this has happened, as it reflects badly on BR and fellow cyclists - I for one will think doubly hard before ever looking to do business on here before and will certainly factor in more of a "risk premium" to any offers I do make
  • styxd
    He has refunded the £50 after I asked for him to prove he was genuine by refunding the money (he hasn't sent it yet).

SO AT THE VERY LEAST HE ISN'T A DESPERATE SCAMMER.

I PM'd him the other day asking for a refund but have since heard nothing.
  • styxd
    Thought this was worth a bump, just seen the guy replying to several wanted adverts. I'd ignore him, he'll take your money and you wont receive your goods.