MTB tyre question

kelsen
kelsen Posts: 2,003
edited June 2011 in Commuting chat
Colleague at work wants to change to slicks on her MTB for commuting. I know nothing about MTB wheels so can someone tell me, is there a minimum tyre width to take into consideration?

Also, am I right in saying Schwalbe Marathon+ and Conti Gatorskins are the de facto tyres to go for?

I feel such a newb! :oops:

Comments

• MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    how wide are her rims...

specialized all condition pros (2) are also a very good tyre. Nice and grippy but about an inch wide
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    WTB Slickasaurus are worth considering as well, however for cost effectiveness on-one are currently doing Schwalbe CityJets in 26x1.75 for £9.99ea (free delivery if you get a pair) http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/TYSCCJET/sc ... n-mtb-tyre as well as a few others.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    how wide are her rims...

specialized all condition pros (2) are also a very good tyre. Nice and grippy but about an inch wide

Not sure if that'd be an appropriate question to ask, but I could try and find out the width of her wheels :lol:
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    kelsen wrote:
    Colleague at work wants to change to slicks on her MTB for commuting. I know nothing about MTB wheels so can someone tell me, is there a minimum tyre width to take into consideration?

Also, am I right in saying Schwalbe Marathon+ and Conti Gatorskins are the de facto tyres to go for?

I feel such a newb! :oops:
    The Schwalbe Marathon Plusses have an extra rubber defence layer that is almost bomproof against punctures, they are heavy though; the Gatorskins have a tough name (and thats about it) and a poor resistance to punctures, though grip may be better.

As above, Specialized All Conditions Pro's are great commuter tyres and I did a few years with their 26x1 model on my mtb. This was on 17mm wide rims (Mavic XC717) and are at the bottom end of the width range they specify. No punctures in 4000m miles.
  • nickel
    nickel Posts: 476
    Narrow xc rims can go down to about 1inch, however with the wider rims that the average mtb uses I'd say 1.3-1.5 is probably the realistic limit.
  • Confusedboy
    Confusedboy Posts: 287
    She's your girlfriend; you should know how wide her rims are.....

She will go a lot better with slicks.

I'll stop now, i promise.
  • FrankM
    FrankM Posts: 129
    I replaced my Gatorskins with Conti Grand Prix MTB tyres (26 x 1 . 1 / 8 ).

They're easier to get on to the rims than the Gatorskins (which are an absolute b****r) and can be pumped up to a higher pressure (95 to 116 psi). I think they are quicker than the Gatorkskins, though that may be wishful thinking.

You can get them on CRC.
  • I've tried both the Gatorskins & the All Conditions Pro's (current) - and think the opposite! Gatorskins seem longerlasting & had better puncture protection, have never had problems with fitting over the rims either (there are wire bead & folding versions though, Frank might have had the wire?). My Specialized are cut up & full of glass now, so will be switching back soon!