Lightweight wheelset for a 55kg rider - sub £350

keyser__soze
keyser__soze Posts: 2,067
edited June 2011 in Road buying advice
Hi

It's the girlfriend's birthday soon and she's got her heart set on upgrades to her 2010 Spec Allez Sport Triple (mixture of Sora/Tiagra plus really crappy wheels). From researching on here the best bang-for-buck upgrade for this bike appears to be the wheels, so I'm looking for a lightweight Shimano 9-speed compatible wheelset for 'best' use (mainly sportives, weekend rides etc, no racing yet) keeping the existing wheels for the daily 22 mile London commute. Budget can stretch up to about £350 at a push, although ideally I'd like to get tubes and tyres (and perhaps cassette) in that price.

I've seen what looks like a good deal on American Classic 350s with tyres/tubes for £360. Alternatively the Shimano RS80s come in about £315. A bargain option would be Planet-X Model Bs at around £125, allowing me to probably replace some other parts on her bike that she doesn't get on with, like the brakes. Is the step-up from PXs to the ACs/RS80s significant? Any other suggestions?

Any advice gratefully received. Thanks!
"Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
"Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"

Comments

• amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    More problems but still living....
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    I bought the g/f the Model B's for her Alex rims equipped Trek 1.2 triple, also bunged on some lighter tyres and tubes. I reckon I saved about 1kg wheel weight, she was amazed by the performance improvement and feel of the bike. She has used the wheels for 3000 miles now on all sorts of rides (including loaded camping tours) and they have stayed perfect.

I also bought her some secondhand 9 speed Ultegra shifters (£30) and improved that area.

I think the model B's are an amazing wheel for the price, the only thing they don't do is add bling labels.
  • magoo289
    magoo289 Posts: 223
    I am 58kg and have the RS80s. Paid about the price you mention and got tubes and tyres for £365 in total. You could get them for £350 if you compromise on the tyres, but you will see a bigger difference in good quality tyres than you will wheels in my experience. I changed from R500s, the only benefit other than being lighter is that going uphill is a tad easier.
  • keyser__soze
    Good suggestion on the Souls, but I'm a little wary of buying from overseas in case of warranty problems etc. She currently rides the stock wheels (Alex rims) with 420g-per-tyre 25mm Armadillos (too many punctures with the stock tyres on the commute) so pretty much anything should be a noticeable improvement.
  • FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    Seconded for the RS80s. They're so close to the 7850 CL24s - besides the hubs I've heard that the nipples are brass vs the 7850s Alu and that's only 20grams a wheel.

Hub weight really doesn't matter a jot vs a lighter seatpost clamp or less water in your bottle so that weight gain is more moot.

Get some ultremos on them and you'll be fine.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • milese
    milese Posts: 1,233
    amaferanga wrote:

In white! One of my best purchases.
  • markwb79
    markwb79 Posts: 937
    Milese wrote:

In white! One of my best purchases.[/quote

When did you buy yours? I like the deep sections, good price, but cant find any recent reviews on them?
    Scott Addict 2011
    Giant TCR 2012
  • milese
    milese Posts: 1,233
    I bought them around a year ago.

I dont think they've changed them?

Have a look on weight weenies.
  • keyser__soze
    Went for the RS80s with GP4000S from Merlin in the end, though it was a close call vs the American Classics with Ultremos deal that Rutland Cycling were doing. The former are more well known so easier to get replacement parts/warranty exchanges if necessary, although the latter were a bit lighter, more exclusive and may have looked better on the bike but some stories about the bearings/hubs in the ACs not being perfect put me off. Just hope they arrive by Tuesday!
  • Crimmey
    Crimmey Posts: 207
    Just received my s2.0s. Very very nice. I ordered mine wit cheapo hub and 3.2mm red spokes to save money. 200 miles ridden only but I bought them for the repairability as its a nightmare sourcing straight pulls. Ill give a review after winter too early to say now. Noduty as gift but he puts value at 200 dollars. 1499g :) my build same price as s3.0 + extras.
  • DIESELDOG
    DIESELDOG Posts: 2,087
    Went for the RS80s with GP4000S from Merlin in the end, though it was a close call vs the American Classics with Ultremos deal that Rutland Cycling were doing. The former are more well known so easier to get replacement parts/warranty exchanges if necessary, although the latter were a bit lighter, more exclusive and may have looked better on the bike but some stories about the bearings/hubs in the ACs not being perfect put me off. Just hope they arrive by Tuesday!

Interesting, I've never heard of any issues with the AC's. Hubs and bearings are as sweet as you could want. I am, however, now more interested in these

Not advertised nor pushed as leightweight but pretty damn nice.

And, no, I don't sell them.

Love n hugs

DD
    Eagles may soar but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

www.onemanandhisbike.co.uk
  • keyser__soze
    Aargh, wish I'd waited a couple of hours, there's now a discount code for a further 10% off the RS80s at Merlin :(
  • DIESELDOG
    Aargh, wish I'd waited a couple of hours, there's now a discount code for a further 10% off the RS80s at Merlin :(

Cancel and re-order?

People do it all the time...

Love n hugs

DD

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    FWIW AmClassic hubs are about the easiest hubs to service and bearings are cheap and readily available. The design is different which probably puts off numbty mechanics that haven't touched anything but Shimano.
    For a little more than the price of the Soul wheels, you could build up some Stans Alpha 340s with generic Rotaz (Taiwanese hub same as Soul) plus some DT Revs spokes. Will be lighter and stronger with no warranty/spares problems.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • keyser__soze
    DIESELDOG, already dispatched else I would have. Asked Merlin if they'd give me the equivalent discount as a gift voucher to save hassle of returning the order, will see what they say. Probably end up spending it on another pair of RS80s for me as my ancient R535s are approaching the knacker's yard.
  • DIESELDOG
    DIESELDOG, already dispatched else I would have. Asked Merlin if they'd give me the equivalent discount as a gift voucher to save hassle of returning the order, will see what they say. Probably end up spending it on another pair of RS80s for me as my ancient R535s are approaching the knacker's yard.

I know it's a late reply but as you bought mail order you can return within whatever time stipulated for a refund then spend your hard earned elsewhere.

Just a thought.

Love n hugs

DD

• rc856
    rc856 Posts: 1,144
    Milese wrote:
    I bought them around a year ago.

I dont think they've changed them?

Have a look on weight weenies.

Any cons against the Soul 2.0's?
    I'm set for buying something like Shamals or Easton EA90 SLX but the Soul are half the price and lighter than both.
    Did wonder if I should stick with the tried and tested brands?
  • rc856
    rc856 Posts: 1,144
    Crimmey wrote:
    Just received my s2.0s. Very very nice. I ordered mine wit cheapo hub and 3.2mm red spokes to save money. 200 miles ridden only but I bought them for the repairability as its a nightmare sourcing straight pulls. Ill give a review after winter too early to say now. Noduty as gift but he puts value at 200 dollars. 1499g :) my build same price as s3.0 + extras.

Is it possible to order them with good hubs then? The quick look I had on the site made me think they came with the one hub?
    Also thought the weight was about 1330g?
    Cheers