Recommend me a holiday destination

Pirahna
Pirahna Posts: 1,315
edited June 2011 in MTB general
I've got 2 weeks to kill at the start of July. First time away with the mountain bike, always a road bike before this.

So, in France, camping (I'll be driving), bike is hardtail Stumpy. NOT big Alpine lift up ride down, more nice climbs, superb views, singletrack stuff. I'm comfortable in high mountains on the road bike but don't have much of a clue about Alpine or Pyrenean destinations for off road.

Pyrenees would be nice, but not essential, to catch a couple of Tour stages at the end of the holiday, but where.

Cheers.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Save money, try Rhyl.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,171
    Cyprus - loads of drit tracks, nice weather (usually) and there is a beach if you get bored.
  • Pirahna
    Pirahna Posts: 1,315
    A couple of good ideas but I don't fancy the drive to Cyprus and there is no way I'd save money by going to Rhyl.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    You could stay with Sheeps mum.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    Massif Central is very nice - its in the middle too and a bit closer.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Pirahna wrote:
    there is no way I'd save money by going to Rhyl.
    Comnpared to France, it would be a physical impossibility to NOT save money by going to Rhyl.
  • YIMan
    YIMan Posts: 576
    Morzine area. There is plenty of cross country trail without having to get a lift up or full-on downhill down.
  • morleyman200
    morleyman200 Posts: 513
    chamonix mont blanc has a few routes without lifts, and the hills are something else :) took us 9 hours to drive from calais.

Tom
  • booldawg
    booldawg Posts: 290
    Recently got back from Tenerife. Did a jeep safari up to Mount Teide. There were some pretty serious looking DHers on the way up so must be some good runs there.

Not mainland Europe I know but definitely worth considering for a non UK ride.
    1999 Scott Vail - Work commute
    2015 Giant Anthem 27.5 SX - Weekend riding

East Hants MTB on Facebook:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/288056017965343/
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    A Quick Release might be ideal for you, based in luchon in the pyrenees- superb riding, big mountains and big rides. Also superb food :) i loved it there
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Ginjafro
    Ginjafro Posts: 572
    Morzine/Les Get - both brilliant for MTB and loads of opportunity for excellent road biking and exploring TDF sections.
    Giant XTC Pro-Carbon
    Cove Hustler
    Planet X Pro-Carbon
  • +1 for Morzine/Les Gets. Plenty of xc if you want it, lots of dh for play,and Chamonix is within an easy drice from some epic xc action too.
    Old hockey players never die - they just smell that way...