Cwmcarn conditions please?

shaunlfc1
shaunlfc1 Posts: 132
edited June 2011 in Routes
Hi all,

I was down at Cwmcarn last BH weekend, and it was very very wet, and destroyed me brakes and rear hub, but all the same it was a great day.

Now the missus wants to go as she missed out 2 weeks ago, but I could do without mullering another set of pads and whatever else fancies dieing under the sandy conditions of Cwmcarn.

So I was wandering if anyone could confirm if its still very wet with lots of puddles and is it likely to improve for this coming weekend?

Cheers,

Shaun

Comments

• shaunlfc1 wrote:

So I was wandering if anyone could confirm if its still very wet with lots of puddles and is it likely to improve for this coming weekend?

Cheers,

Shaun

Depends if it rains or not!

Rode there Monday evening and it was practically bone dry. Cwmcarn drains/dries fairly easily if its hot.
  • Welsh_Tom
    Welsh_Tom Posts: 571
    shaunlfc1 wrote:

like ben said it was dry as dry gets monday, and it never stays wet for long.

its has rained today here but no that bad. it would be dry say tomorrow morning if you where to come.

also, i found its only kills resin pads.
  • shaunlfc1
    Cheers chaps, I think our plan is too come down early tomorrow (fri), so hopefully it'll be goodish weather. I forget how good the welsh trail centers drain.

Thanks again,

Shaun
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Bout to say even when it's bucketing down that trail is solid.

If you struggle at Cwm in the wet time to surrender on wet days :p and Cwm is not sandy at all? never had it burn out pads badly in the wet or anything?
  • Silversladey
    Silversladey Posts: 450
    Bout to say even when it's bucketing down that trail is solid.

If you struggle at Cwm in the wet time to surrender on wet days :p and Cwm is not sandy at all? never had it burn out pads badly in the wet or anything?

+1 been running the same pads for a few months, have been keeping away from Afan though, except for 1 outing to Skyline.

Cwmcarn sometimes gets a little bit boggy at the start, but nothing compared to the F.O.D. or Wentwood
  • shaunlfc1
    Dont get me wrong bad weather never bothers me I ride through winter and all conditions, its just on BH monday just gone, Twrch wrecked a set of pads and a rear hub, it had been raining most of the weekend and was pouring down during my loop. So its not me that doesnt like the weather its me wallet :-) Plus this time I will have the missus with me and she's trying to shug off her beginners wings now, and a very wet Cwm I think might knock her down a peg or two and her fragile confidence.

I will admit my pads were nearly shot though and the last descent killed them off.

Thanks again for all your local knowledge. Hope to be riding the great loop at some point tomorrow.

Cheers.....
  • Silversladey
    Silversladey Posts: 450
    shaunlfc1 wrote:
    Dont get me wrong bad weather never bothers me I ride through winter and all conditions, its just on BH monday just gone, Twrch wrecked a set of pads and a rear hub, it had been raining most of the weekend and was pouring down during my loop. So its not me that doesnt like the weather its me wallet :-) Plus this time I will have the missus with me and she's trying to shug off her beginners wings now, and a very wet Cwm I think might knock her down a peg or two and her fragile confidence.

I will admit my pads were nearly shot though and the last descent killed them off.

Thanks again for all your local knowledge. Hope to be riding the great loop at some point tomorrow.

Cheers.....

No worries the weather is really nice this evening with no rain,

i used to wear pads out quickly, but changed to Superstar Kevlar pads and they have been excellent
  • Welsh_Tom
    Welsh_Tom Posts: 571
    last monday when it was peeing down, me and the 2 james and garth hit cwm. my brakes where fine. the next day the resin pads on my one brake where gone. there was no meat left on them