Landing crossed-up - how far can you go?

.blitz
.blitz Posts: 6,197
edited June 2011 in MTB general
A bit of technique advice please.

Have been doing a few little whips and landing front wheel first (pointing in the right direction) weight slightly forward/inside and let the rest of the bike sort itself out. But sometimes I'm landing front wheel first and the wheel is not pointing in the quite the right direction. Fortunately it snaps back in line more by luck than judgement but I get the feeling that it could very quickly go pear-shaped and I'd like to make this situation more controllable.

Are there some 'golden rules' with tail whips or am I whipping inappropriately?

Comments

• timpop
    timpop Posts: 394
    Maybe you're dropping your shoulder a bit and/or slightly rotating your body while you're spinning the bike.
    Have you watched many videos of pro's doing the trick? Also, how about getting some footage of you doing it, you'll be able to see exactly what your doing. That's a great way to dial your technique.
    Many happy trails!
  • timpop
    What I'm trying to say is to square youreself up to the landing, that way you'll always land straight. Do you know what I mean?
    Many happy trails!
  • .blitz
    I think so but at this early stage I find it easier to whip the back out a bit if I approach the jump crooked.

Perhaps I should try and square it up and put more effort into the whip :?
    timpop wrote:
    while you're spinning the bike.
    we're not quite at that stage yet :)
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    No idea but make sure you post pics of your failures.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • timpop
    Going in to a jump crooked is fine and a good way to get the bike whipping so keep doing that. When you're coming in to the landing try rolling your shoulder forward to help square up the bars to the landing. Your arms will follow as will the bike. That should help.
    Have fun!
    Many happy trails!
  • mrfmilo
    mrfmilo Posts: 2,250
    Think you mean whip not tailwhip :wink:

I've found it depends on size of the jump, and size of the whip - on smaller tabletops/doubles, the back often doesnt straighten out and 'snaps' back - but on a large roadgap for example with more air time, I can whip the back out and all the way in again before landing.

Turn and twist your body, this will push the back to the side, then when you near the landing straighten out youre body again. Really exaggerate the movement while practing.

Sorry for the rubbish explanation :lol:
  • .blitz
    mrfmilo wrote:
    Think you mean whip not tailwhip :wink:
    Not sure what to call it. It's more of a 'LameTableWhip X-up' :)

ta for the input BTW
  • mrfmilo
    mrfmilo Posts: 2,250
    If you're tailwhipping anything other than a jump bike im impressed :lol:

This is a decent vid: http://www.pinkbike.com/video/142010/
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I find once I've got air my steering goes nuts and it never lands straight.
  • timpop
    mrfmilo wrote:

Turn and twist your body, this will push the back to the side, then when you near the landing straighten out youre body again. Really exaggerate the movement while practing.
    Basically what I'm getting at too. Really work it to get your body straight for the landing. That should sort the wheel issue out.
    Lots of practice.
    Many happy trails!
  • Johnny Napalm
    Johnny Napalm Posts: 1,458
    I find once I've got air...I sh!t myself! :oops:
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Marin
    SS Inbred
    Mongoose Teocali Super
  • phz
    phz Posts: 478
    I find once I've got air...I sh!t myself! :oops:
    That should be fine - the extra weight out back will help pull the tail into line for your landing.

slainte :wink: rob
  • I think i done this once.. and crashed big time!!

Ahh I wish I could control my bike! :(