Nostalgia bikes

SimonAH
SimonAH Posts: 3,730
edited June 2011 in Commuting chat
After one eye opening post recently from a forumite who did not recognise downtube shifters I got to thinking about older bikes - specifically those I rode as a kid.

Grifter anyone? Raleigh Bomber? I never had a Chopper tho'

cue lots of tiny or lacking penis comments no doubt
FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Comments

• chilling
    chilling Posts: 267
    I had a Grifter. I can remember when my mate got a proper BMX bike. I had a go and suddenly realised the reason I couldn't do most tricks was that the Grifter was made from Uranium and so weighed approximately the same as an Eddie Stobartt truck.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Raligh Hustler, had one when I was 13 (second hand) rode it for 5 years, went to my Sister for a year then I bought it back when I lost that job and went to Uni for 3 years....I converted it from 3sp Surmey to 5 speed Derailleur with the help of a friend. Always had a slightly twisted frame so was impossible to ride hands off!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Started off on a "Budgie" bike.

I then had a Raleigh Commando, Raleigh Chrome Burner BMX, California Star BMX, Haro BMX, Raleigh Mustang MTB, Muddy Fox MTB......Fast Motorbikes.....Sports Cars......Really fast Motorbikes (again).....Children....Commuter/road/mtb bicycles and Family cars
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    was the Raleigh grifter green? had a similar seat to the chopper?

i had one of them passed down through the family when i go it, it looked as if it had been in the war, i loved it though

what was the black bike with mag wheels an had a computer on the cross bar? i had one of them too

then i had a "townsend" lime green an pink mountain bike

Carera instinct

Scott Tampico

Kona Stinky

Spesh Tricross
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 wrote:

i had one of them passed down through the family when i go it, it looked as if it had been in the war, i loved it though

Raleigh Striker is was, with genuine fake suspension forks on the front

ahhh the memories......
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,387
    SimonAH wrote:
    After one eye opening post recently from a forumite who did not recognise downtube shifters I got to thinking about older bikes - specifically those I rode as a kid.

Yeah, I was stunned into silence by that one. Not sure I'd have been as diplomatic as Nicklouse. I had a Chopper (secondhand); I came to grief on that bloody gear shift on one occasion - the neighbour came running out to see what the noise was about. Then I graduated to a Dawes tourer (well, tourer-shaped: 5-speed steel framed road bike with drop bars and a rack, but child-sized). Then I inherited my dad's steel BSA 10-speed - that's still hanging in his garage awaiting a restoration project - before getting the Giant that I'm still riding all the way back in 1997.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Confusedboy
    Confusedboy Posts: 287
    Raleigh Explorer (1964). My mates had the Triumph Palm Beach, a more or less standard 26" wheel 3-speed SA bike of the time that was virtually standard issue for schoolboys, but my skinflint dad, who could easily have bought the Palm Beach I wanted, bought me the Explorer instead. Despite being single speed, it was heavier and slower than the Beach, and I was always being left behind, and the brakes were crap. It was rubbish. Years later I briefly owned it's spititual successor, a BSO called a Raleigh Lizard, which at least had a nice paint job. These were the worst bikes I ever owned, and I have an Apollo Code.

Why Raleigh, a firm with a reputation to look after, got involved with this sort of thing, which they repeatedly did over many years, is a mystery to me, but the misery they engendered must have put countless potential cyclists off the idea. The hack Code, cheap and cheerful and about as basic as it gets, at least does the job and can maintain 15 mph on the level; now I have replaced the dire twistgrip changers with friction ones recycled from a skip bike I am happy enough with it. Something a bit nicer is planned when I can afford it though.
  • pastasauce
    pastasauce Posts: 221
    RALEIGH BOMBER !

A real mans mtb ....
    :lol:
  • richVSrich
    richVSrich Posts: 527
    SimonAH wrote:

yeah that was me... *shrugs*... i know better now!
  • Flyingbogey
    Flyingbogey Posts: 352
    Raleigh Chopper but loved my mates grifter mainly for the colour coded gear shifters. I progressed to a second hand road bike (racer) but i always wanted a diamond back mongoose BMX.[/code]
    Bianchi Nirone C2C FCN4
  • Keith1983
    Keith1983 Posts: 575
    Well I had one of those funny things that claimed to have a computer on it, when in reality is was just a button and a selector to choose from a range of annoying noises. A Raleigh Streetwolf I believe! I then had some funny pirple thing with wheel disks in both wheels and then a Raleigh Activator, probably the worst suspension fork ever fitted to a bike! From then on it was a Claud Butler MTB, followed by a Saracen MTB then onto the cheap raleigh MTB I have at the moment and my Virtuoso and my Vicenza road bikes.
  • Flyingbogey
    Flyingbogey Posts: 352
    Mistake, i meant Tommahawk
    Bianchi Nirone C2C FCN4
  • mudcow007 wrote:

what was the black bike with mag wheels an had a computer on the cross bar? i had one of them too

Was the black bike the Raleigh Vektar?

I remember a mate having a white one

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Rare-Raleigh-Vekt ... 53e7d5903d
    You shall not pass! (Unless I'm knackered then I don't really care tbh)

Specialized Hardrock Sport 06
    Specialized Sirrus Sport 11
  • Small Fish
    Small Fish Posts: 84
    My first was a Raleigh Chipper - lile a chopper only smaller. I'd had it a matter of days when a wheelie went wrong... I crashed into the kerb, went over the handlebars and knocked two front teeth out!

Next was a Raleigh Europa - a mini version of a proper racer with 24" wheels. I remember saving up £55 to buy it from Halfords in either 1978 or 79...
  • I remember having the Chopper and then progressing onto the the Burner. My latter years of childhood were spent with a bike i can't even remember the name of. Just that it had drop bars but not skinny road tyres.

I occasionaly would pinch my dads racer which IIRC was a Falcon Rapier. Could be wrong about that though, my memory's not what it used to be.
    You shall not pass! (Unless I'm knackered then I don't really care tbh)

Specialized Hardrock Sport 06
    Specialized Sirrus Sport 11
  • pastasauce
    pastasauce Posts: 221
    Bending the front mudguard back on my brothers Grifter so it sounded like a motorbike was fun.

Till it wore out .........
  • My parent couldn't afford a new Chopper so they found me a second hand Tracker, which was a Chopper-wanabee with the same 'nads endangering T-shifter for the Sturmey Archer 3 speed.

Like a Chopper but more pants. I loved it though.
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Raleigh Burner BMX with yellow mag wheels. Man, that was a sweet bike.

Raleigh Criterion in metallic blue that I dearly wish I'd kept hold of.
  • snooks
    snooks Posts: 1,521
    Owned from new
    Raleigh Boxer
    Raleigh Grifter
    Raleigh Maverick
    Kona Fire Mountain (1990 and still have it - Well my parents do)

If nostalgia floats your boat, head over to http://www.retrobike.co.uk/ I'll warn you now, you might not come back.....
    FCN:5, 8 & 9
    If I'm not riding I'm shooting http://grahamsnook.com
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • mudcow007
    edited June 2011
    mudcow007 wrote:

Was the black bike the Raleigh Vektar?

I remember a mate having a white one

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Rare-Raleigh-Vekt ... 53e7d5903d

ahh it was a street wolf

Street Wolf

i might try an buy one
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    I had a 2nd hand raleigh commando, in black with the big chopper style seat and colour coded changer 3 spead sturmey. I then saved up and bought a 10 speed raleigh racing bike (down tube shifters), which lasted me to uni only to be replaced by a 2nd hand BMX , which was more suited to bunny hopping on and off pavements and tearing down tow paths.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • Butterd2
    Butterd2 Posts: 937
    It was like mods and rockers where I grew up, you either went down the Chipper graduating to Chopper or the Boxer/Grifter routes. I was a Chipper/Chopper man(boy).

Though for nostalgia it has to by my Pace which I've owned for nearly 20 years now.
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Pace RC200 FG Conversion (FCN 5)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Oi! Mudcow!

NO!

copy the following you pain in the bum.

Street Wolf

:P

Oh and I remember the day I got my 1st index linked gear shift. How amazing was that???? :D No more of this tentative moving of the lever while cycling like you're giving birth and having the bloody thing drop 2 or 3 gears and have you mashing to a standstill or embedding the chain between the smallest cog and the frame.

Luxury!
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • mudcow007
    Oi! Mudcow!

NO!

copy the following you pain in the bum.

Street Wolf

:P

Oh and I remember the day I got my 1st index linked gear shift. How amazing was that???? :D No more of this tentative moving of the lever while cycling like you're giving birth and having the bloody thing drop 2 or 3 gears and have you mashing to a standstill or embedding the chain between the smallest cog and the frame.

Luxury!

i like to throw hugely long url's in to keep people entertained
  • waynej
    waynej Posts: 56
    Best Christmas present I ever had was my red Grifter.

Ok it wasn't perfect. It was very slightly overweight and the gear linkage was make of break-as-soon-as-you-look-at-it-tanium so you either had to leave it in third or screw a spoke into the hub and bend it to keep it in first. But it looked great, rode great and could withstand huge punishment - brilliant bike.
  • wheezee
    wheezee Posts: 461
    1971, and I was given a Steyr-Puch Something or Other (badge engineered Schwinn Stingray, as far as I can tell) for Christmas, instead of a Chopper. I think it was actually a better bike, having a bigger front wheel and derailleurs, but it wasn't what everyone else had, so I was a tiny bit disappointed.
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323

Luxury!

True 'dat

When I changed from my Falcon racer to a Raleigh Maverick, I thought I'd hit the big time. Indexed shifting, boys, check me out, eh? It was, blunty, a triumph of style over substance! Shifting was still p**s poor.

Then I got my GT Borrego with Brahma bars and Suntour Microdrive - none of this shimano rubbish for me! I had 24 gears. Could barely count that bloody high!
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Keiran, can the value of index linked shifters go up as well as down?
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    SimonAH wrote:
    Keiran, can the value of index linked shifters go up as well as down?

I find the market in such circumstances to be cyclical.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    edited June 2011
    Surely the cyclical market is in twist grip gear shifters?
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem