RS Reba Damper problem

clwydian_rider92
clwydian_rider92 Posts: 416
edited June 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi, just been servicing my Rockshox Reba SL 2009, and when I install the damper and reassemble the fork, and pump up the fork, I only get half of the forks travel.

However when I compress the fork all seems normal, until the travel hits half way, the travel suddenly stops, as if ive applied lockout.

I should mention that my poploc does work.

Any suggestions? I have taken the damper assembly out, and rotated 180 degrees but doesn't make any difference.

Thanks
Giant XTC SE 2006
Cube LTD Race 2009
Trek Fuel EX 9

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    dual air or solo air?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • dual air
    Giant XTC SE 2006
    Cube LTD Race 2009
    Trek Fuel EX 9
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Let all the air out. Can you compress it now all the way?
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    Sounds like too much oil either in the lowers or the dampener.
  • supersonic wrote:

Yes did this, and doesn't make a difference.

My friend suggested what 'DIY' suggested that too much oil has been put in. -> When the fork is compressed (when rod is compressed with lowers off) and the damper inserted but not fitted in correctly, oil comes out of the top suggesting that too much is in. Howeveer I put in the amount that RockShox manaul said too put in.
    Giant XTC SE 2006
    Cube LTD Race 2009
    Trek Fuel EX 9
  • nicklouse
    supersonic wrote:

Yes did this, and doesn't make a difference.

My friend suggested what 'DIY' suggested that too much oil has been put in. -> When the fork is compressed (when rod is compressed with lowers off) and the damper inserted but not fitted in correctly, oil comes out of the top suggesting that too much is in. Howeveer I put in the amount that RockShox manaul said too put in.

so how much did you put in? what year fork?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • put in 123ml, and they're 2009.

Manual i followed:

http://www.sram.com/sites/default/files ... _my102.pdf

I compressed the forks all the way with the damper not fully tightened so the oil could come out. This seems to have worked, but why did the manual say to put in way too much oil? Or am i just being really stupid :S
    Giant XTC SE 2006
    Cube LTD Race 2009
    Trek Fuel EX 9
  • nicklouse
    put in 123ml, and they're 2009.

Manual i followed:

http://www.sram.com/sites/default/files ... _my102.pdf

and that could well be the problem.

Bet they are upto and including 2009 forks.

the SL should have

Right leg upper 110cc of 5Wt /lower 15cc of 15Wt,
    left leg upper 6cc of 15Wt and lower 15cc of 15Wt

the correct manual for your forks I believe.

http://www.sram.com/sites/default/files ... y08_e1.pdf
  • Yep them measurements ring a bell, from when i last did a service. 110cc would be approximatly the correct from the amount i took out from 123ml. Thanks a lot anyway. I'll keep the manual under my favourites for next time.

Thanks once again!
    Giant XTC SE 2006
    Cube LTD Race 2009
    Trek Fuel EX 9
  • nicklouse
    download it it will be easier for when Sram mess thing up again on their webby.