Bent or not?

atakd
atakd Posts: 42
edited June 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
I'm having a problem indexing gears - stop screws are adjusted OK and I've fitted a new cable but when I shift down the chain jumps 2 gears between the 6th and 8th largest cogs then won't shift up without a double click. My chain is about a year old but measures within tolerance (< 1/16" for 12"). Ive read that one other possible cause is a bent derailleur hanger but I'm not sure if mine is straight or not. Could a bent hanger cause these symptoms? There's no sign of damage to the derailleur or hanger but it seems slightly closer to the cassette at the bottom than the top. Can anyone venture an opinion on this diagnosis from the piccy?

DSC_0019.jpg

If it is bent, is it worth trying to knock it out a bit? - I've got a big hammer!

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Looks twisted
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • There does look to be a bit of twist in it which won't help.

You mention that you have changed the cable - did you do a new inner or inner and outer? Sometimes, the outer can get a bit gunked up and introduce a bit of friction into the system. This might be worth checking out.

Also worth checking to see how worn your jockey wheels are and if there is a lot of play in the mech itself.

Also check that the the small bolts that fasten the hanger on are tight. Sometimes they can work loose and as the mech moves across the cogs it shifts slightly causing shifting problems.

Just some ideas of things to check, hope you get it sorted.
  • rubbernekker
    rubbernekker Posts: 112
    The mech hanger is bent.- Look at the cassette lockring- you can see that the hanger isn't parrallel with it.

Get a new one or take it to a shop to get it unbent.

Nothing will index until you do this, dont use a hammer- you only get one more chance to unbend an ally hanger.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Bent, or QR not tight enough, with those don't you usually see a little of the bolt poking through (going from memory here)....and there looks a gap between locknut and frame.... or am I imagining?

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Johnny Napalm
    Johnny Napalm Posts: 1,458
    Looks bent and twisted to me. I had the same issue a while ago - you're better off just getting a new one..
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Marin
    SS Inbred
    Mongoose Teocali Super
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    It's as bent as a mail haredresser
  • Johnny Napalm

This confuses me.
    Marin
    SS Inbred
    Mongoose Teocali Super
  • atakd
    atakd Posts: 42
    Thanks for advice. The attaching nut was loose but I still had the problem after tightening it so I did a bit of unbending with a large screwdriver as a lever. This has improved the problem but not solved it completely so a new hanger it is, then. At least I'm confident what the problem is now.
  • Anonymous

This confuses me.
    :lol:
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Maybe he's confused about other things as well..... :lol:

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • *AJ*
    *AJ* Posts: 1,080

Is that someone that dresses large rabbits that comes in the post?...
  • Anonymous
    Yes, exactly
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Yep, it's George Michaeled.
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    Just bend it more until it stops doing it... :lol:
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • Johnny Napalm
    You insinuating it is partaking in puffery?
    Marin
    SS Inbred
    Mongoose Teocali Super