energy drink protein substitute

Tank-slapper
Tank-slapper Posts: 968
I have been looking into energy drinks for an upcoming race and the following recipe would appear to be best (based on what manufacturers are saying):

4 parts carbs (2:1 maltodextrin & fructose)
1 part protein
electrolytes
water or juice

The protein is there to provide amino acids which help carry the carbohydrates into the muscles, aid brain function, etc. Adding protein to the mix seems a good idea then. Unfortunately, the ready-made energy drinks all seem to use whey products as the protein source which, after a couple of hours in a warm bladder, turns to cheese and becomes undrinkable.

So, I was thinking about making my own drink but using a mixture of amino acids instead of basic protein? Would it (could it) have the same physiological effects, but not go off in a bladder? What combination might work: essential amino acids, BCAAs, glutamine, creatine?

Or would leaving the protein out of the drink altogether and eating it as solid food work just as well?

Comments

• springtide9
    springtide9 Posts: 1,731
    Not sure about your comments about off-the-shelf products turning into cheese. Only used the High5 4:1 and that didn't even smell after a warm day and being left in the bladder for 24 hrs after the event.

As for eating during the event... depends on the time/effort etc. Personally for long events... I am really not that far off the 1g of carbs per kg body weight per hour.
    Simon
  • Tank-slapper
    Thanks for the comment, but rather you than me leaving milk products in a bladder for 2 days.

Anyway, I think I will stick with the carb/electrolyte mix for the bladder and get my protein in other ways.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    ...the protein is there to provide amino acids which help carry the carbohydrates into the muscles
    Not sure if this will actually make any difference during a race :?
  • springtide9
    Thanks for the comment, but rather you than me leaving milk products in a bladder for 2 days.
    Anyway, I think I will stick with the carb/electrolyte mix for the bladder and get my protein in other ways.
    I know what you are saying, but stuff like 4:1 is so far removed from being a milk product it's a non issue... it's designed such that it can be left in a warm bladder all day!
    We are not talking about a product like Forgoodnessshake which you never seem to be able to get ride of the smell .... even if you watch the bottle out straight away!

There is absolutely no smell or residue after even swilling with plain water (but I do use soap)... and is very easy to clean... you wouldn't know it was protein product.
    Simon
  • GTI
    GTI Posts: 6
    as blitz states, if you are fuelling during a race, you don't need to worry too much about protein, but this depends on how long you are talking about racing for?

Recovery however, now that's a whole new blend of delight.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    For multiple day rides then protein can be good, as above 4:1 et al really won't turn to cheese!

For a normal one-day event I'd personally look to maximise my carbohydrate intake and not include the protein - take that for recovery afterwards.
  • springtide9
    njee20 wrote:
    For multiple day rides then protein can be good, as above 4:1 et al really won't turn to cheese!

For a normal one-day event I'd personally look to maximise my carbohydrate intake and not include the protein - take that for recovery afterwards.

Sorry OP... off topic...

Question regarding quantity of carbs on long events....

Do you use the 0.75-1g per Kg body weight per hour rule?

This seemed excessive.. so last weekend I cut this back a bit and really felt close to 'bonking' half way though. I had dehydrated a little... and 750ml of water, gel, energy bar and 20mins rest was enough to start recovery... just now not sure whether it was a combo of dehydration and lack of carbs ... or just the dehydration that caused it.
    Unfortunately I don't do enough events to really experiment.
    Simon
  • Tank-slapper
    I bought some protein mix and some creatine capsules for taking before and after exercising. This should be adequate for my needs.
  • chalky1
    chalky1 Posts: 30
    So after all that exact science posted above you settled for creative ?

And the cheese in the bladder :roll:
  • Tank-slapper
    No, I drink the protein shake before and after riding, not during. I am trying protein bar recipes to take on long rides.

My bladder contains SIS Go, but it tastes terrible. So I bought some ISO stuff from Holland and Barrett which is half price at the moment. Not tried it yet though. I may end up making my own carbohydrate/electrolyte drink using ingredients from myprotein.com.