26 inch touring wheels

willy-style
willy-style Posts: 52
edited June 2011 in Tour & expedition
Hey, i have finished building my 26" touring bike, and done nearly 1000km on it. I am very happy with it, except for one small worry. The 26" wheels i bought were on a budget, therefore not the strongest on the market http://www.parkersofbolton.co.uk/p-821- ... elset.aspx .
however, i am hoping that as they are 26" mtb wheels, so inherently designed for 'rougher' use despite being fairly cheap they will be up to the job of road touring with loaded panniers.
what do you reckon?

Comments

• cycladelic
    cycladelic Posts: 641
    They could well be fine. It really depends on the weight they have to carry - your body weight plus whatever baggage you load on the bike.

I find it best to have 36 spokes on the rear wheel, as I'm almost 100kg and I always take a pair of stuffed panniers on tour.

I reckon the width of the rim is also a factor in a wheel's strength.

Just take a few spare spokes just in case.
    It's an uphill climb to the bottom
  • andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    The wheels look fine to me - 32 spokes is OK for road touring. You could have them checked by a bike shop to make sure the spokes are still properly tensioned and the rims are true.
  • Im about 90kg, and will be riding a few thousand km in the summer, self supported through europe so with full set of loaded panniers.
    i reckon they should be fine considering they are technically mtb tyres, but willl be used on roads. just wanted to reassure myself!
    thanks