Tyre choice for Coed Y Brenin?

evo3ben
evo3ben Posts: 552
edited June 2011 in Routes
I have the choice of either Panaracer XC Pro 2.1 tyres or Maxxis Highroller 2.35 DH duel ply.
Panaracers are nice and lite (580g a tyre) and give good grip but could be prone to puncture, pinch flats and ripping on rocks etc
Maxxis's are very heavy (1100g a tyre), i have a super tacky up front, give good grip, higher volume and due to the duel ply less prone to puncture, pinch flats etc but those hills could be hard lol

Cant decide, and advice welcome please :D

Comments

• VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    Panaracers all day long!
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • timpop
    timpop Posts: 394
    I would think the Panaracers would be best. You're unlikely to get a pinch flat. I did last time I was there but that was the only time in years. The trails are mostly pretty smooth and the rocky bits aren't that sharp. Another option would be Panaracer on the back and your maxxis on the front. I used that size combo there last year using Panaracer Cedric Gracia tires and it worked really well. (Wicked tires by the way) Very good for climbing then fast and stable on the downhill sections. This year I was using 2.2 Conti rubber queens. They were fast and responsive too but I got a pinch flat.
    Many happy trails!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    The duel Ply Maxxis is a very very heavy DH biased tyre. There are huge climbs in cYB. The two don;t go hand in hand very well.
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    Panaracers :D

I run Cinders on my bike and am perfectly happy riding on them everywhere!
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Rampage SC
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • timpop
    timpop Posts: 394
    The duel Ply Maxxis is a very very heavy DH biased tyre. There are huge climbs in cYB. The two don;t go hand in hand very well.

This is true. It is probably best to stick to the Panaracers, they'll be great in Coed y Brenin. The 2.35 I used were the Cedric Gracia AM and are smaller and lighter than the volume would suggest. They rolled very well.
    Many happy trails!
  • evo3ben
    evo3ben Posts: 552
    Thanks everyone for the advice! 8)

Panaracers it is :D Will take the Highrollers with me just in case but hopefully wont need them.
  • tony620
    tony620 Posts: 194
    yeah take a spare my maxxis ignitor ended up with a hole in them after cyb :(
  • mudsucker
    mudsucker Posts: 730
    I ran Panaracer fire XC 2.1s when i went to CYB last month and were spot on.
    Bikes are OK, I guess... :-)

2008 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp.
    2013 Trek 1.2
    1982 Holdsworth Elan.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Of the 2, Panaracers, but it may be worth getting yourself something sensible in the middle!

2.25" Racing Ralphs are lighter, bigger volume and IMO at least grippier.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Standard single ply highrollers are always a safe bet. At the moment I'm pretty happy with a conti mountain king on the back, but I'm not sure what to get for the front.