Fitting forks

toastedone
toastedone Posts: 838
edited June 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
How is is it to install a new set of forks? is it a job that can be done by a novice is is it better to get it done at an LBS

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    it can be easy.

have a read of the info on park tools and the FAQs about crown races and removing forks and then about servicing headsets.

what do you need. a guide/ hacksaw. Pen.
    knife/screwdriver and hammer and a suitable bit of pipe.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • toastedone
    Thanks very much, if i did ask a local shop to fit a set a new forks i bought elsewhere would they do this for a price, if so what is an average price to expect?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    In forgot. a file a new star nut and some thing to fit it. and allen keys to undo and swap stuff.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The Big Cheese
    The Big Cheese Posts: 8,651
    2 schools of thinking here:

As nick said, it can be easy. However I have all the right tools to do it, over time you will acquire these tools but can be expensive to get them all in one go.

If you are in any doubt, and this is your first time I would take the forks to the LBS and get them to do it for about £10-15.

However, as nick said read park tools re: measurement (you need to always measure twice and cut ONCE) then mark the cut line with a pen and take it to the shop for cutting.

However, you need to cut 3mm below that line (this is so it sits 3mm below the top of your stem to allow preload of the headset bearings.)

Again, read park tools for more info.
  • toastedone
    Thanks Big, I think i would rather my local do it but my local is the shop i bought my bike from, and have already had a little annoyance from them over my breaks, my only other oprion locally is halfords :/
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    What has broken? :D

Try another shop perhaps, can't believe there is only one in the whole of stockport!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    It's not that difficult probably on a par with putting up some shelves it depends how mechanically minded you are. Set aside more than enough time and make sure you have the required parts/tools.

You will need to support the bike while you are changing the forks. Take some photos before and during the disassembly, it helps to see how the headset components fit together.