Tubeless - what do I need (now trouble fitting tyres)

Matt_
Matt_ Posts: 82
edited June 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
I'm about to go to tubeless. I've got a Trek Fuel EX 8 and it comes with Bontrager Duster rims which are supposedly tubeless ready. I was originally just going to buy tubeless valves and some sealant but I did a quick google and it seems some people are saying that the rims still need rim tape despite them claiming to be tubeless ready!

Is this right? And if so which NoTubes kit should I buy? Just the standard one or do I need a wider kit like the freeride one for wider rims?

Thanks for your help.
Current Bikes:
2010 Trek Fuel EX8
2009 Specialized Allez Sport
2006 Scott Reflex 20

Lakes Mountain Bike Routes

Comments

• *AL*
    *AL* Posts: 1,185
    Yes, you'll need to tape the rims.

Specialized Blue rim tape (about £8 a roll and enough to do several pairs of wheels)
    2 x Roval tubeless valves (£5 a pair iirc)

Tape rims,
    Screw in valves,
    Mount tyres,
    Add sealant.

Job done.
  • DaveL
    DaveL Posts: 188
    You need the bontrager tubeless rim strips and valves and sealant (called bontrager super juice, I think)

http://www.pedalon.co.uk/acatalog/bontrager_rim_strip.html

http://www.pedalon.co.uk/acatalog/bontrager_ust_valve.html

I didn't get on with the sealant and used my own mix of silicon, slime and windsceen wiper fluid.

I went back to tubes, not long after, to much of a faff

Dave
  • Matt_
    I'm wanting to use one of the stans kits. Which one do I need? Freeride or standard?
    Current Bikes:
    2010 Trek Fuel EX8
    2006 Scott Reflex 20

• DaveL
    Bontrager tubeless ready wheels are made for the use of Bontrager rim strips, as they clip into place in the rim. The system works well.

If you go down the road of Stan's, make sure they will work with your rims.

Dave
  • Matt_
    Ok I'll go with that then cheers. That's quite a lot cheaper than the stans kit! Will still get some stans sealant to stick in them too.

Although I'll get the rimstrip for the Ryhthms as I just went to look at my rims and they say Rhythm on them, not Duster.
    Current Bikes:
    2010 Trek Fuel EX8
    2006 Scott Reflex 20

• DaveL
    As far as I know, the one rim strip fits all tubeless ready rims, as mine where Race Lite.

1 more slight negative, is that the sealant can block the valve.

The links I put up before were for info, you will probably be able to get them cheaper elsewhere

Dave
  • Matt_
    I had a look round that site and there is a specific rimstrip one for the Rhythm wheel so I've ordered that :)
    http://www.pedalon.co.uk/acatalog/bontr ... strip.html
    Current Bikes:
    2010 Trek Fuel EX8
    2006 Scott Reflex 20

• Matt_
    So I'm having a nightmare attempting to fit my UST tyres. I've had some tyres that are a pain before in the past but nothing like this. I just can't get the last bit on no matter how hard I try, my tyre levers are going to snap before the tyres go on the rim. I've tried lubing the bead and rim up but makes no difference. They are Schwalbe Nobby Nic Evo UST tyres...

Help! :shock: :!:
    Current Bikes:
    2010 Trek Fuel EX8
    2006 Scott Reflex 20

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Make sure the opposite side (the side already on the rim) is as deep in the well as it will go and 'feed' the tyre round the rim, should free up a bit of slack.
    If that makes sense.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • pioneer68
    pioneer68 Posts: 56
    Believe it or not, this is normal for Bontrager rims, it's an arse ache, but worth it in the end IMO. I find the super juice to be fine as well, but horses for courses, regarding sealant I guess.
    Trek Remedy 9.9 (custom) 2011
    Santa Cruz Tallboy LTc (custom)
    Trek Stache 8 2013
  • Matt_
    I'm going to have to get someone else to show me/do them for me. I cannot do it!
    Current Bikes:
    2010 Trek Fuel EX8
    2006 Scott Reflex 20

• Matt_
    Got them on with help from a friend! He had some stronger tyre levers than mine although he still managed to bend them as well. They are terrible things to fit! Not planning on changing them anytime soon.

Been out for a ride on them and first impressions are that Nobby Nic Evos are brilliant! I had the front around 25PSI and the rear at 15PSI. Didn't mean to have the rear that low but when I let a load of air out of it I didn't have my track pump on me so wasn't sure what it was at till I got home and checked, pumped the rear up to 25PSI now so will see how I get on with that.

Might be going over Walna tomorrow night if the weather is ok so that will test them out properly :D
    Current Bikes:
    2010 Trek Fuel EX8
    2006 Scott Reflex 20