squeaking bottom bracket - knowledge shared

richvass
richvass Posts: 68
edited June 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi All, just thought I'd pass this knowledge to you. I thought my bottom bracket was worn out. Had it changed at my LBS. The squeaking continued but far far less irritating and noisy. I went back to my LBS today who replaced my BB. After much detective work, riding bike in High Street, tightening BB and other bolts discovered the rear cassette was loose and required tightening. I have nothing but praise for my LBS. I know I do not have an irritating squeak on my rides. So check your rear cassette before replacing your BB! Just thought this experience may help you.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    should have read this first

http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-hel ... rive-train

as you can see it can be anything. I would not have said a lose cassette would have a squeak but would have caused many other things. like rattles and some serious damage to the back of the bike when the lock ring came off but you would have had some serious shifting issues before that.( many bikes will not let the lock ring drop of which just leaves a rattly bike that has gears like a bag of spanners IE you dont know what one you have if you have one).

Not sure they were telling the truth (all the truth)
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown