I visited Battaglin in Italy and they sell directly in USA

Tom Perks
Tom Perks Posts: 4
edited June 2011 in Road buying advice
Hello everyone,

I just returned from a trip to Italy and visited the Battaglin factory. Over there I test rode their top of the line road bike C13. It was awesome. The fastest bike I have ever been on.

When they told me they sell factory direct in the US www.Battaglin-USA.com since last summer I wanted to ask if anyone had experience with them in the US. I spoke to them last week and the offered very good deals on thier bikes. When I asked about the price advantage compared to other Italian brands they told me it is because of thier direct sales model.

They told me also that all the bikes are handmade in thier own factory in Italy. I am very tempted to pull the trigger what do you guys think?
C12 full carbon: ~2800
C14 full carbon with MAVIC CARBONE SL: ~4800
C13 full carbon with Campy Super Record: ~6100

Comments

• Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    Tom Perks wrote:
    Hello everyone,

I just returned from a trip to Italy and visited the Battaglin factory. Over there I test rode their top of the line road bike C13. It was awesome. The fastest bike I have ever been on.

When they told me they sell factory direct in the US www.Battaglin-USA.com since last summer I wanted to ask if anyone had experience with them in the US. I spoke to them last week and the offered very good deals on thier bikes. When I asked about the price advantage compared to other Italian brands they told me it is because of thier direct sales model.

They told me also that all the bikes are handmade in thier own factory in Italy. I am very tempted to pull the trigger what do you guys think?C12 full carbon: ~2800
    C14 full carbon with MAVIC CARBONE SL: ~4800
    C13 full carbon with Campy Super Record: ~6100

Well, I think you work for them.
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • Tom Perks
    Unfortunatly not.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    sounds like that very much, either that or you're a friend trying to get some interest in their frames ...
  • marin_maniac
    marin_maniac Posts: 513
    Shil......
  • Tom Perks
    I wanted to find out if anyone bought a bike from them before and how they like it. The price is lower than comparable bikes from Italy and I want to make sure I buy quality. Thats it.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I have a Battaglin RS1 - it was their top line frame a few years ago. Probably too stiff for my liking. They have tried the direct sales model in Europe, but I don't see many of them about.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Hi! I know this is a 10 year old thread 😃 but just wanted to say, I owned a C14 with SRAM force, and I loved it. I was just a normal 50 year old (now 60 😳) weekend warrior, but I particularly remember the kick I got out of the backend of that bike when powering over little rises, and the overall comfort of the ride and geometry. I believe the frames were assembled in Taiwan and designed & finished in Italy. And the finish was fabulous. But no skin deep beauty here - it was a fabulous long distance friend until I put it on my bike rack and reversed it into a lamp post 😑. Replaced it with a Battaglin Altair in 2017. These were fully hand built to order in Italy by a small team, and once again a truly beautiful and comfortable bike I’m still riding today. Battaglin moved away from carbon in 18/19 to concentrate on the highest quality hand built custom finished steel frames which are truly objects of desire. There’s so much brand snobbery out there - but i won’t be going mainstream any time soon and would encourage and serious cyclist to look these frames over and give this boutique manufacturer a chance to show you what they can do, and for sensible money. As they say on the box ‘ your comfortable friend for a million miles’ ✅
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,060
    I realise this is spam but I didn't know Battaglin had moved purely into a boutique brand making steel frames. Presumably this is an attempt to carve out a niche because they can't compete in the mainstream market against the big boys ?
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Hi! And Happy New Year to everyone. ✅. Great to have a response on this. It’s a fascinating thought, and may well be true - after all Battaglin is still a small family business, and it would represent a truly massive investment to gear up to mass market scale… then again, why would they want to? Why sell 10 of 1000s of frames (or complete Bikes as is the fashion these days 🙄) if you have to get them built in China (specialized etc) to make a margin in a competitive market where the brand name is more important than quality or provenance? Why not keep small and proud and focused on what you do best - building frames with love and to highest quality? The worlds best HIFi faces the same dilemma which is why so many real hifi brands are small. Getting back to bike frames for a mo - I don’t know the full reason to go back to steel ( let’s not forget that’s where they started) but I suspect Alex Battaglin would tell you if you asked him. And there another difference - you can email or call him directly and discuss your needs. Check out his series of videos on YouTube to get a feeling of what this company is about. Cheers!