Rock Shox Tora 289 Not Working!!!

carrera_vulcan
carrera_vulcan Posts: 125
edited June 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

A friend of mine recently bought a second hand Rock Shox Tora 289 Coil 2010 or 2009. It has motion control as the previous owner had added it himself. On the first three days the fork was okay and working fine but after he serviced it he began having problems. Whenever he presses down on the fork it then comes back up in different stages, it doesn't come back up smoothly.

This happened after he serviced it. The fork previously had 5W oil but it wasn't very smooth and he changed it with a 2.5W 130ml oil.

Could this be the problem and it will be of great help if you give me some advice on how to fix it.

Thanks

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    the lighter oil is showing up the problems as it makes everything faster.

sounds like something stuck in the valves on the rebound side.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • nicklouse wrote:
    the lighter oil is showing up the problems as it makes everything faster.

sounds like something stuck in the valves on the rebound side.

What do you think might be stuck?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Take it apart, clean, and refill with the correct oil ie 5wt synthetic suspension fluid
  • supersonic wrote:
    Take it apart, clean, and refill with the correct oil ie 5wt synthetic suspension fluid

Thanks.
  • carrera_vulcan
    carrera_vulcan Posts: 125
    edited June 2011
    supersonic wrote:

I have one more question. The previous owner told my friend that the problem is that he needs to add grease to the right fork leg. Is it possible for this to be the solution and if it is, do you know if it will work?

Thanks
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    well the spring side needs some lube. if it is dry the bearings might be shitting themselves.

Oil volumes and weights are all on Srams webby. and I dont think it is grease that is needed unless the bearings and seal were not lubed up with fork grease when he worked on them.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • nicklouse wrote:
    well the spring side needs some lube. if it is dry the bearings might be ******** themselves.

Oil volumes and weights are all on Srams webby. and I dont think it is grease that is needed unless the bearings and seal were not lubed up with fork grease when he worked on them.

Thanks a lot!