Evans or LBS in Nottingham?

gdcfc1
gdcfc1 Posts: 127
edited September 2011 in The bottom bracket
I need to get my road bike (Scott) serviced. I need decent turnaround (day or two) as I need to be back on it. Anyone recommend a good LBS in or near Nottingham (West Bridgford/Beeston def possible)? Alternatively, any comment on the Nottingham Evans Cycles service performance?

Has anyone had the Stage 1 or Stage 2 Services at Evans? Comments?

Thanks!

looking into the +1

Comments

• Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    I don't know what sort of service you'd get but there is Bunnys bikes (next to the canal near the train station) and freewheel in Hockley (next to the sex shop, or at least it used to be not sure if the sex shop is still there. Honest. :lol: )

As I say, can't vouch for the standard of service but they're other options. I think Sid Standard in Beeston (If it's still open).
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • My experience of Freewheel was not positive so won't be going back. They complained about the quality of my bike ( planet x sl pro carbon) then when I got it back discovered that the crank fixing bolts were still loose. They do have a good rep, so can't be all bad.

I have also tried Langdale lightweights, in Mapperly. I felt that I got frosty customer service and got told I'd need new cables until I made him check them and admit they where fine. No problems with the work, spot on.

Both places have a booking system and there can be a wait, even more during racing season.

I have heard that evans are ok but can be slow and not always work to schedule.

Hope this helps
  • cristoff
    cristoff Posts: 229
    Avoid Leisurelakes in Breaston, i have had some nightmare customer service and service quality there :(
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    I always use Pro bikes in Hucknall who excellent but I think judging from the OP this is a bit out of the way, hence I didn't suggest them.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Why not do it yourself? You'll get a better job for a kick off.

What do Evans etc offer for a service? Dunno - Evans web page shows a video instead of a list and I can't be bothered. What you'll probably get is the cables checked & maybe replaced at some cost, wheels checked & spokes tensioned if necessary, gears re-indexed (akin to taking your guitar back to be tuned) and the brakes adjusted up. A check but not strip & clean of the headset, and they'll check your tyres and blow them up for you as final flourish.

None of it's rocket science; part of the joy of a bike is looking after it yourself. If you had the time I'd suggest the full strip down to the individual components, thorough clean and rebuild. But you haven't, so I won't. The 'service' is a pretty basic DIY job though.
  • Used Freewheel a couple of times for servicing. Had no issues at all with them and will continue to use them for future work. The guys are knoweldgable and friendly and completed the work within a day both times.

The only issues I have had are that it can take a while to get your bike booked in (I guess it shows they get a lot of business) and they dont open until 09:30 so dropping it off on the way to work is a problem.

Other than those minor things they have been great.
  • Feltup
    Feltup Posts: 1,340
    Try Sid Standard in Beeston or TS Bikes in Long Eaton, TS are a larger outfit.
    Short hairy legged roadie FCN 4 or 5 in my baggies.

Felt F55 - 2007
    Specialized Singlecross - 2008
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
    Peugeot Tourmalet - 1983 - taken more hits than Mohammed Ali
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    I've used TS bikes - never had cause for complaint - heard Langdale Lightweights and Probikes are good but not used them myself - no experience of the other Nottm shops.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • e999sam
    e999sam Posts: 426
    +1 for Pro Bikes in Hucknall great freindly service.
  • kirk101
    kirk101 Posts: 7
    Landale for me, great place!
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    CiB wrote:
    Why not do it yourself? You'll get a better job for a kick off.

What do Evans etc offer for a service? Dunno - Evans web page shows a video instead of a list and I can't be bothered. What you'll probably get is the cables checked & maybe replaced at some cost, wheels checked & spokes tensioned if necessary, gears re-indexed (akin to taking your guitar back to be tuned) and the brakes adjusted up. A check but not strip & clean of the headset, and they'll check your tyres and blow them up for you as final flourish.

None of it's rocket science; part of the joy of a bike is looking after it yourself. If you had the time I'd suggest the full strip down to the individual components, thorough clean and rebuild. But you haven't, so I won't. The 'service' is a pretty basic DIY job though.
    evans had an ex demo di2 bike for sale at a slight discount, they couldnt be bothered to clean it. the whole drive train way absolutely slawmed up in black junk seemingly never been cleaned.
  • cristoff
    cristoff Posts: 229
    I always use Pro bikes in Hucknall who excellent but I think judging from the OP this is a bit out of the way, hence I didn't suggest them.

Another vote for Probikes here
  • gdcfc1
    gdcfc1 Posts: 127
    Thanks for all the input.

For the record, due to working hours and nothing else I ended up going to Evans - they stay open well into the evening. I have to say that the service was done perfectly - and on time. Also the communication was great and I am very happy with their work.

:D
    looking into the +1
  • mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    Never had any work done at Evans in Nottingham, but when I went in looking at road bikes a week or two back I spent 20 or so minutes sniffing around a couple of favourites and not one single member of staff approached me. Is this their policy or something? Do I have to ask?

I'm glad someone else asked the question about Notts. Looking for suggestions myself.
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.