Le Coq Sportif returns

Comments

• jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,716
    Classy. Let's hope Banania are still going !
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Hooray! 80s retro.

Maybe they could get Hinault, LeMond, Kelly and Herrera to model the new jerseys.

Hopefully they'll bring the classic combined jersey back.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    Awesome, retro-tastic! Where can I get a replica one?

:D
  • emadden
    emadden Posts: 2,431
    ahhh... the good ol' sporty c*ck :D
    www.dotcycling.com
  • jimmythecuckoo

aren't Yellow Jersey's off limits like world champs?

:wink::wink:
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962

Oh right, I'll have to get a KOM one instead!

• Salsiccia
    Salsiccia Posts: 405
    RichN95 wrote:
    Hooray! 80s retro.

Maybe they could get Hinault, LeMond, Kelly and Herrera to model the new jerseys.

Yes, please to all of that. The combined jersey was so cool.

On a serious note, are Le Coq paying more to supply, or are Nike pulling out?
    I was only joking when I said
    by rights you should be bludgeoned in your bed
  • emadden
    emadden Posts: 2,431

Only if you can climb.... I feel sorry for some pros who take the polka dot jersey in the first day or two of stage races and the day the first real climb comes, some of them are often in the first group off the back... Ok, so they get a bit of publicity, but it really labels them as "chancers" :lol::lol:

EDIT: oh and I should add, I have an old Amore e Vita jersey and bibs combo with big McDonalds and Coke logos... quite fitting really (pardon the pun) seeing as I'm out of shape thanks to my "sponsors"... :lol::lol::lol:
    www.dotcycling.com
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    But at least the only people who can take the mick out of them in that situation are their fellow pro's, just by making it into that kind of race (tour,giro, whatever) they are already in the top few hundred cycslists in the world.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    emadden wrote:

Only if you can climb.... I feel sorry for some pros who take the polka dot jersey in the first day or two of stage races and the day the first real climb comes, some of them are often in the first group off the back... Ok, so they get a bit of publicity, but it really labels them as "chancers" :lol::lol:

EDIT: oh and I should add, I have an old Amore e Vita jersey and bibs combo with big McDonalds and Coke logos... quite fitting really (pardon the pun) seeing as I'm out of shape thanks to my "sponsors"... :lol::lol::lol:

I like my KoM T-shirt. The Italians & Spanish don't get the irony of me pushing my bike while wearing it.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Bet it looks exactly the same as the nike one.
  • csp
    csp Posts: 777

You're probably right. The Santini one looks exactly the same as the Nike one.

280-PIC202074680.jpg
  • rick_chasey
    Salsiccia wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    Hooray! 80s retro.

More nike pulling out than the other, but it's a sign that Le Coq are moving back into cycling.
  • RichN95.
    csp wrote:

You're probably right. The Santini one looks exactly the same as the Nike one.

To be fair, it's a plain yellow jersey, distinguished only by sponsors logos and maybe a very slightly different shade. There's not going to be a whole lot of variation.
  • RichN95.

More nike pulling out than the other, but it's a sign that Le Coq are moving back into cycling.

I reckon it's a bit of both. Nike probably wanted the contract for a lot less than before and ASO seem to be very supportive of French things in these recessionary times (eg Saur v Geox)
  • Roscobob
    Roscobob Posts: 344
    Salsiccia wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    Hooray! 80s retro.

Le Coq are providing the jerseys for all ASO races. I believe they have different sponsors for different races at the moment? Nike will pay top dollar for the TDF but will not be interested in any others and other sponsors will probably not be willing to pay a lot for the 'smaller' races. By putting it all together does it make the whole package more marketable?

Nike probably not willing to pay the extra for the races that the Yanks aren't interested in so walk away?
  • Salsiccia
    Salsiccia Posts: 405
    I was wondering whether this is the start of Nike distancing itself from pro cycling, in light of certain allegations/revelations...
    I was only joking when I said
    by rights you should be bludgeoned in your bed
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    Salsiccia wrote:
    I was wondering whether this is the start of Nike distancing itself from pro cycling, in light of certain allegations/revelations...

+ 1 Maybe they know what`s coming just around the corner ?

When they said le coq was returning i thought they meant Carlton Kirby to commentating on this week`s Dauphine.
  • rick_chasey
    Salsiccia wrote:

I'm sure that's a significant factor.

After all, Nike was absolutely Armstrong through and through.

I know post-Armstrong mark:#1 Nike wound down its cycling clothing range more generally.

It was their route in.

Comparable to Adidas and Ulrich you'd say.
  • Coach H
    Coach H Posts: 1,092
    RichN95 wrote:
    Hooray! 80s retro.

My official merchandise version of the combined jersey is Castelli though.
    Still wear it as well when 'Rapha Boy' joins our peloton. For some reason he finds it uncomfortable riding next to me when I am wearing it. Honestly some people have a warped idea of "cool".
    Coach H. (Dont ask me for training advice - 'It's not about the bike')
  • jimmythecuckoo
    Interesting that Nike are cutting back on their cycling commitments.

Will be plenty of conspiracy theories abounding to do with that I suspect.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    2013 Jersey
    maillot_jaune_2013.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • 2013 Jersey
    maillot_jaune_2013.jpg

I didn't notice the profile the first time I saw this - I just assumed it was sweat!!
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    That bandana image on the front not pantani I hope... Oh no the ears aren't big enough...
  • [Wendy] It's the symbol of Corsica, where the race starts this year [/Wendy]
  • mooro
    mooro Posts: 483
    dodgy collar detail...